[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Housing benefit

Housing benefit

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Housing benefit

Postby gimpyphil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 am

Hi,Can anyone help me with the new rules on housing benefit? I wrote to my MP asking if disabled people can keep their so called "extra"bedroom? Needless to say he said no and told me to claim Discretionary housing payment,do you have to put your DLA care part on the form? Just wondered as it does not count towards housing benefit now as it is not means tested.
Will be glad for any help on this, Thanks, Phil.
gimpyphil
UKFM Member

Re: Housing benefit

Postby Treece » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am

i went to a local event held by my landlord, apparently if you get middle or high rate care and need an over night carer, as long as the person does not live in, one room can be given to that use. So if you only have one room extra you will not have to pay for that room. It is very complicated as everyone will be different. Anyway just to make sure I rang my council, who pay my housing benefit and asked them. They confirmed the carer's room.

You do need to let them know!

Treece x
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby djgs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 am

lots of help for everyone here http://www.facebook.com/groups/antibedroomtax/
djgs
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:34 am

Hi

That is very interesting!!! I have a 2 bedroom bungalow and the 2nd room is for my carer for overnight stay as i do need help in the night!!! I am on higher rate care and higher rat mobility and was wondering how you go about letting them know about this!!! Is there a specific form that you have to complete? I am really not sure how i go about this but without this spare room my carer would have to sleep on the sofa which isnt ideal!!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
Milly xxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby abcguildford » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi,
the government is appealing the recent ruling, which is why most councils will not pay. I have managed to get the extra bedroom paid for, I have two children with higher rate DLA with disabilities that meant they cannot share a room. You need to provide medical evidence why the extra room is needed permanently, not just the odd night. More info here [http://www.cafamily.org.uk/news-and-media/news-on-housing-benefit-and-extra-bedrooms/?page=3 ]

Hope that helps
abcguildford
UKFM Newbie

Postby pixiecat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm

I wrote to my MP when I got a letter in april telling me about this bedroom tax and stated how it was unfair not only to diabled people who need it on occasion but also for grandparents and single parents who have children stay at weekends and foster carers

I did get a letter back and was told that the minister who set it out has changed the fosters part, and if you have your home addapted
you shouldnt have to pay the extra as it would cost them more in the long run to move you to a flat and have to addapt that too.
but we will have to wait I think before we know exactly who and what the charges will be.
and I dont know how I will afford that with the new council tax addition that they are putting on everyone of working age too
:roll:
Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby diane1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Folks

I'm lucky the bedroom tax doesnt affect me but I thought i'd let those of you who pay council tax know about the reduction you can get if you have a disability.

If you have a second toilet on the ground floor and a room you can use as a ground floor bedroom you can get a reducton of one property band . It saves a few hundred pounds a month which is very helpful.

Just a thought but those who have an extra bedroom and are married/a couple could claim the extra room is needed for the O/H as how many times does the o/h end up in the spare bed as we cant bare to me touched due to the pain etc. Make this at least 5 nights a week and its classed as a permanent thing.

Hope this may be of help.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby gimpyphil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 am

Hi,The problem I have is my wife is my carer so the second bedroom rule stuffs us,even though my wife sleeps in the other room to get a good nights sleep.
My MP has been no help whatsoever,there's a shock.We are now on a couple of swop sites,the trouble is there are loads of people in the same boat as we are so there are very few one bed houses to move too.
We were getting stairlift and wetroom installed but had to cancel because of this stupid rule,guessing they plotted this on a boozy night down at their "club"?
We as disabled people seem to be baring the brunt of all the cuts? What did we do to deserve this? It is a constant worry all day every day,just do not know what to do.

Phil.
gimpyphil
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am

Hi

Cant you claim your wife is the carer of a day to qualify for carers allowance and then have a relative or friend or both who would say they stay of a night.

Not sure of the rules in depth but there are allways loopholes . Try the advice groups on line like ;

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/home

Good Luck.
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby gimpyphil » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi,We have never claimed carers allowance,always thought we would lose out on other benefits?

Phil.
gimpyphil
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Phil it sounds like you might need advice from someone who knows the benefits system well It could be that a full review of your present situation/circumstances shows up something that you could be entitled to.

Sent with lots of love from LaaLaaLand xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby diane1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Phil

Careers allowance wont have any impact on your benefits. You can ask the council to send someone around for a full benefit check .

Good Luck

Di
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby gimpyphil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks,My wife has claimed carers allowance today,might as well claim before they take that away as well,all these benefit changes and being forced from our house to god knows where are pushing me to a dark place.Being sick and having to do all this and the worry of it all is just too much. Phil.
gimpyphil
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits