ESA Sanctions

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA Sanctions

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:14 pm

I recieved a letter today saying that as from December 2012 they are bringing in sanctions , basically if you are in the work related group which i am even though i think i should be in the support group, then they will ask you to do work related activities, whatever they are and if you dont do them you will have money taken off your benefit, has anyone else had this letter? Suzy
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: ESA Sanctions

Postby Lemonzest2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 pm

So its basicly JSA again. sucks
Lemonzest2012
UKFM Member

Postby Treece » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:47 pm

have you appealed the wrag decision, while on appeal you cannot be asked to participate in these activities. Unfortunately you will have to comply, however, when you attend your first meetings with employment adviser they do have the power to 'default' you for a year until your review if they feel it would be harmful for you or others if you participated with this activity. None of us should be in the wrag, we should be in the support group. Try to get ATOS or the DWP to understand that.... one bit of bad news i discovered this week that ATOS are one of the three companies that have been given the contract for the face to face assessments for PIP... (what DLA is changing to) oh joy!!!
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Although we may not agree with the system , once in it we seemed to be stuck.
As Treece suggests I would have a good long chat with your employment advisor about what you can & can not do & potential triggers for a flare up.

If you don't get deferred I would even go as far as asking them in writing for an assurance that any activity they may send you on will not aggravate your condition and for a copy of any H&S assessment either they or an employer would need to carry out to ensure that any reasonable adjustment you may need are catered for prior to your arrival. This may mean anything from non standard hours , more frequent breaks , to disabled toilet facilities to a suitable chair should you be at a desk.

I think I am right in saying that this needs to be done for all person who tell thier employer that they have a disability.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits