dla at reconsideration. can i make a new claim

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

dla at reconsideration. can i make a new claim

Postby annrotherham » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:47 pm

hi all i was turned down for dla at any level and im now waiting reconsideration. i have asked dla if i can make a new claim as it may be quicker than waitin for them to reconsider. i first put the claim in in may. they have said to wait for the decision is this right as i have read that others have made new claims
ann
annrotherham
UKFM Member

Re: dla at reconsideration. can i make a new claim

Postby Treece » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 pm

now dont quote me on this ... from what i understand, once you have been turned down you have to wait 6 months from that time to claim again. A reconsideration will only take a few weeks. Seek advice NOW regarding appealing any negative outcome.

good luck xxx
T
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi,reconsideration often takes less than a few weeks and you can send in new evidance at any point.
There is no legal time to wait before submitting a new claim BUT, your needs must have changed (you will need more eveidance than you had on your last claim if it fails AND you will need to show a deterioation or change in your condition or needs - not just that you feel you still need what they wont give, and actual tangable change that you can support with evidance )
Also your needs have to have existed for 3 months for any claim...so if turned down this week it isnt feasable that you can put a new claim in today as your new needs can't have existed for the last three months else you'd have sent more evidance to them with the past claim....if that makes sense.
tribunerals take monts...but they are full backdated if you get an award.
Youu can always go to CAB for advice both on reconsdieration, what more evidance might help or for advice on getting a new claim going at the best time. My CAB office suggested 6 month wait, but did say there's no legal reuirement to wait that long, but said the above about reclaiming in less than 3 months.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 am

The whole thing took me 9 months but then i won and they had to pay me back pay which i am very grateful for. Unless they actually turn you down flat keep fighting. Just think you are also doing it for someone else and not just for you. Good luck.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 am

For a recon or appeal the decision made based on how you were when you originally submitted your claim. So any new info/evidence that relates to anything that has come about after you submitted your application may well be not be considered/taken into account.

A recon does tend to be quicker than an appeal,usually takiñg weeks rather than the many many months that appeals are takiñg.

Sent with lots of love from LaaLaaLand xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits