Another sick note or not!!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Another sick note or not!!!

Postby sallzz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi all
I'm feel as though I have a bit of a situation.....I'm currently on the sick (so far 3 weeks) have to go back to doc's next week to see if he is going to sign me fit for work or not.
The first week he signed me off with FM but said he couldn't keep putting that down as a reason as I wouldn't be able to stay on the sick with it!!! I have the feeling he is not a believer in FM. So I am now on the sick with depression, he has given me anti depressants which with my other med are helping me sleep better.
I am feeling better having had the time off work and just doing things around the house at my own pace, my husband has also said I have been a nicer person as apparently I am quite :evil: when working.
Anyway sorry to go on, my reason for posting is to ask for advice would it be better to try and stay on the sick long term or just admit that work is to much for me right now (I'm 40) and hand my notice in. or of course the other option is to go back to work and grin'n'bear it...
I am feeling really guilty about letting my colleagues down :dunno:
Just wondered what others have done.
xx
sallzz
UKFM Member

Re: Another sick note or not!!!

Postby j.allen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:27 pm

hi .....when i first was ill with fibro i was on the sick for 9months ......after speaking to my doc , occy health and my manager and an ease of my symptoms i returned to work on reduced hours and lighter duties .........that lasted approx 11 months with a couple of blips on the way , but curently i 2 am of on the sick again since sept ........i just dont want to give in to this but i.m doped up on my meds so cant drive , do not have the energy to do very much ......the least wee things can exhaust me and make the pain worse ........so i know how you feel , i.m hoping all my fibro symptoms ease up again but i could defo not continue to work at the minute , fibro fog is a nitemare never mind anything else .........take it easy ....see how you go xx
j.allen
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi

Ive had fibro for 22 years nd the symptoms built up over this time the flare ups lasting longer and becoming closer together. Ive had time to adjust but its still a shock when you realise you cant do things you used to.

Have you thought of going part time I did this for a few years and gave me a bit longer in work.You can also get help from Access to work for any changes you may need or any aides to do the job. You can access a Disability Employment Advisor who is bsed in the local Jobcentre (there is a post on sticky all about what they do and how to contact them on the main bord).

I had fibromylgia on my sick notes every time I went off and continually for the last 12 months. It was also noted that it was on my sick notes when I hd a medical appeal for my pension from work, which I'm glad to say I won. (thats on another post) .

You can only try things and if you find them to much then dont do them.

Good Luck nd keep us posted.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Although we can't advise which road you should take, it doesn't stop us from sharing our own experiences with you. Only you should decide what's best for you.

I know how you feel re 'letting your collegues down' but believe me, in the majority of these situations they don't give two hoots how you are.............so stop feeling guilty.

I tried to continue working, attempting to manage the same work load only to 'crash' when I got home in agony and floods of tears.

I thought I was letting the team down if my performance wasn't 100%

But believe me sweetheart, there comes a time when you just know that it's time to take some time out from your career.

There may or may not be a time in the future when you go back to work, but for the time being..........look after yourself and stop feeling so guilty.

Maybe after a couple of months you may decide that you can't get back to work, don't punish yourself if this happens.............just take things easy and look after yourself.

As far as the sick notes are concerned, my G.P. wrote sicknotes for 13 months stating FIBROMYALGIA on every one.

As I am now in the support group of ESA I no longer need sick notes.

I was retired from my career in May of this year after dragging myself to the office for almost two years.

Not once did I have any sick absences during this time because I felt guilty!!!!

Take care love, listen to your body and look after yourself.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby sallzz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Thank-you all for your comments, I have lots to think about..
Knowing others have been through the same is re-assuring to me, it's nice to know others understand.
:flowers:
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

Hi lola you are so true do they really care ? ive had fibro for 4 years now and i am at my wits end with work at the mo have had to drag myself to work day in and out feeling most times exhausted I have given a 100% to work and I know im just a number , I go to work on a cocktail of drugs and without these I could not fuction ive got a year to go before i retire and i am in the process of asking for a reduced week .just to get me through to my pension ,at the mo im not at my best been avin a flare up for the last 4 weeks and its gettin worse
just had enough ,so sorry for goin on but if we dont stop and think of ourselves we are not doin are self any favours take care xxx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:43 am

Hi there my will I won't I stay in work is well recorded on other thread but like others I have had FM on my sick notes since coming off in May so not sure why you GP says you can't have it continuously ..Its not like FM has suddenly disappeared, he wouldn't expect to write Depression on a sick note for any other primary chronic condition . You may also have depression but that doesn't get away from the fact that you also have FM.. There is a big space on Sick notes ... if the doc feels he can't just write Fm and needs to write something else asking him to put down both FM & Depression .
You never know when you might need to use it .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:45 pm

you got very good advise there already
my GP writes fibromyalgia every time since 2 years,
every 2 month I get a new sick note/fit note
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby sallzz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks all, i'm going to see a different doctor on thursday. x
sallzz
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits