esa

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

esa

Postby suey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

hi everybody not sure iam writing in the right place but here goes,have just been sent a letter today to tell me my esa has ended ,i was previously on incapacity benefit for seven years with fibro and depression and anxeitiy and panic attacks and a few other things ,I was medically retired as i couldnt cope with work due to the above. I was changed over to a wrag group without having a medical .i phoned dwp today and their answer was thats the rules ,asked them who decided what group i was in ,they said that they would of gone by the pink form that they sent for me to fill in. I explained i havent had pink form,does anyone know what this form is?, and has anyone else had to fill this form in before they where changed over. I told the lady on the phone how was i suppose to know about differant groups and she said that my dwp adviser should of explained ,but where i was on incapacity benefit i didnt have an advisor. i really hope some one can help me out here and tell me what i should do now because i havent got a clue :-? :shock: thank you suey
suey
UKFM Newbie

Re: esa

Postby babajane32 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Not sure, havent been down that road, but have had some small experiance of esa not sending anything relevant,letters that were contradictory which they then told me to ignore and stopped money on and off with no explanations! they are a waste of space and a very stressfull bunch of incompetant pen pushers under a stupid scheme thats not fit for purpose!!
BUT...i would advise you to contact them asap and request an appeal.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm

:welcome: to the forum suey :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear you're caught in the chaos and fiasco that is supposed to be the benefits system :facepalm: :facepalm: Unfortunately there are far too many of us that are finding ourselves in similar situations to where you are now :( :(

The form the advisor that you spoke to was talking about is the ESA50 which is filled in when you are being transferred from Incapacity Benefit (IB)to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) as IB is no longer a claimable benefit. You should have been sent a letter explaining about the transfer with the form. When you completed the form and returned it to DWP, it will have been looked at by a decision maker who, based on the info you supplied, will have decided that you were able to do some form of work with the right sort of help, advice and support, this is why you were place in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG). Again you should have been contacted in writing with details about this. Along with telling you about your ESA, there should have also been some info about what you needed to do if you disagreed with their decision.

With you saying that your ESA has now stopped, I'm guessing that you were on the Contribution (c) based benefit rather than the Income (i) based one. With you being in WRAG and receiving ESA (c), earlier this year changes were brought in to the system which means that people claiming ESA (c) who are in WRAG can only claim the benefit for 12 months. You should have been contacted regarding your ESA claim with info about this and what alternatives would be available to you when this happens.

It sounds like you're going to need to get back in touch with them about this to try and sort things out so you know where you are. From my own experiences, I know how bewildering this can be :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You could try your local JobCentre to see if they can help throw some light on things, I've found the frontline staff in them can be more understanding and helpful than speaking to a faceless voice on the phone. Or you could see what organisations in your area might be able to help you with this. Places like Citizens Advice Bureau, DIAL, Welfare Rights etc can often help. Or you local council may have a benefits help and advice point.

I'm sure there should be some other things I should have mentioned, unfortunately the fog always rolls in at the wrong times :facepalm: :facepalm: If anything else comes to mind, I'll add it. With the number of members on here tho and their different experiences and knowledge, someone will hopefully be along to fill in any gaps for you.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with getting things sorted. Just post if there's other things you think of or want to know and we'll try to help you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby suey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 am

thankyou for your quick replys sorry to be so thick but my brain is mush these days :oops: the form that you mention eas50 who fills this in them or me cause didnot fill in and form will try to get back in touch with dwp tomozs if my mouth can connect with my brain thanks again its nice to know theirs some one listening suey
suey
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jo Owen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am

I have found the CAB invaluable with my problems with ESA, to the point of as soon as the CAB spoke to them they put money into my account the very next day after stopping it just before Xmas, they also helped me with my appeal which I won, even though I was put in WRAG. I will be going to them every time I have an ESA or DLA problem.

I hope you get sorted very soon.
Jo Owen
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

suey wrote:thankyou for your quick replys sorry to be so thick but my brain is mush these days :oops: the form that you mention eas50 who fills this in them or me cause didnot fill in and form will try to get back in touch with dwp tomozs if my mouth can connect with my brain thanks again its nice to know theirs some one listening suey

There's no need to apologise about anything, and you're not being thick, we all understand how you're affected, esp with the foggy head, on a good day I have weetabix for brains compared to how I used to be, on a not so good day, well someone has eaten the weetabix without me knowing :facepalm: :facepalm: :crazy: :crazy:

The form should have been sent to you so you could fill it in and send it back to DWP for assessing. With you being on IB originally, there should have been some contact from DWP, which could have been an initial call from them to let you know that the form was being sent to you within a few weeks, then a letter and the form should have been sent to you.

If it's a bit too much trying to talk to DWP (last time I spoke to them they reduced me to tears with their decision :cry: :cry: :cry: ) is there someone you trust who could speak to them on your behalf, with you giving them the answers and info needed depending on what is needed/asked??
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby suey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 pm

got up the couage to contact dwp again, explained situation again got the same response as before only this time was told why didnt i appeal when i was put in wrag , as now people are only appealing ,now cause their money has stopped, and that they will probaly reject my appeal because i should done it 12months ago, so now i not only feel lost but now they have made me feel like a fraud, so now iam really anger as i have always worked since i left school and even when my kids were little,iam going to appeal so will keep you updated in case it can help some one esle x suey
suey
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Suey, have a look in your area for someone who can help you with this. The big ones have already been mentioned (CAB, DIAL etc) but there tends to be a lot of smaller, local organisations who can help. They can be based in churches, community centres/groups etc. They have people who know the systems well that will be able to give you advice that is specific to you and your situation and help you with what can be done next. Think I've already said this, but your local council may well have details of these organisations, so having a look on their website, giving them a ring, or even going into your council's central info place could be somewhere to start.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 am

Although it's possible to be moved from IB into WRAG without a work capability assessment it's impossible and illegal to be moved from IB to WRAG without the DWP receiving a returned ESA50 form signed by you to base their decision on. So there's either been a huge mistake made by DWP or you've somehow forgotten or not recognised the form.

A Subject Access request on your entire claim sent to DWP asking for a copy of your filled in ESA50 form as well as any other decision making paperwork, correspondance will turn up what's what.

But meantime as Fluffypuppy advised get advice on this as quickly as you can from one of the places she mentioned. Hope it sorts out for you with their help.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby suey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

just to let you know that thanks to the advice i was given by fluppypuffy and zappa 20, and after a lot of phoning and letters,. dwp finally admitted they hadnt sent me a esa50 form :clap: :clap: :-D. so they have now sent me the form that i have filled it in with the help of cab so i know i havnt won the war yet ? but at least ive won a battle. so i will keep you updated and once again thanks for all the advce suey
suey
UKFM Newbie

Postby macca » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 am

Absolute whopper move by DWP there or what? I know first hand how daunting it can be fighting DWP, like trying to climb an unclimable mountain at times but you just gotta stick it out. Easy said i know but gotta fight all the way .. Even when you think theres no fight left in you

The key now is getting the ESA50 filled in correctly with lots of detail explaining how your illness affects your daily life and also provide as much supporting detail as you can i.e. Confirmed diagnoses, copy appointments etc. When I was fighting for my wife I even included a ground floor plan of our house and photos of our ground floor bedroom and adapted ground floor shower room and toilet, plus copies of her disabled persons travel pass and details of the criteria she had to meet to get it, amongst a mass of other stuff.

Don't rule anyting out, if you think something will support your claim then send it. Believe me DWP won't ask for it otherwise

Good luck

Macca ;-)
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:46 am

Wow Susey , really impressed with what you ahve achieved so far....good luck withteh rest.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:44 pm

:fingerscrossed: you get the right result this time Suey :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 am

suey wrote:just to let you know that thanks to the advice i was given by fluppypuffy and zappa 20, and after a lot of phoning and letters,. dwp finally admitted they hadnt sent me a esa50 form :clap: :clap: :-D. so they have now sent me the form that i have filled it in with the help of cab so i know i havnt won the war yet ? but at least ive won a battle. so i will keep you updated and once again thanks for all the advce suey

Glad there was somethng in my wafflings that was of help suey :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Just when we think they can't put us thru anything worse than what we already deal with, they go and surpass themselves yet again in their incompetancy :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:

Getting them to admit what they have done wrong with your claim is a massive step suey :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Good for you with being so persistent and determined :clap: :clap: :clap: With you getting help from CAB, hopefully you've given yourself the best chance possible for the rest of it going thru as smoothly as possible :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 am

Really pleased to hear you got it sorted. Can't have been easy as the DWP machine is a nightmare to deal with especially when something is out of the ordinary. So well done you.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits