Work & Hot Desking

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work & Hot Desking

Postby taljo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi
I'm new to here (although have had fibro for years).
I manage to work ok (p/t hours), i struggle along ok with managing work/kids/life generally etc, and i do struggle with flare ups daily but guess its part of the course,

My reason for posting is because my employer (who have always been very supportive in the past) are now putting hurdles in place.
Basically we are merging with another organisation. And to be deemed fair they are making all employees hot desk - basically desk share from January 2013 when we move to new offices.

I am struggling with this as my desk is where i belong at work, (if you know what I mean bearing in mind, in the past I have
a) had my desk assessed from a physio to make sure all ok, screen, keyboard etc all in correct place to minimise pain as much as can, and
b) have a special kneeling chair for my dodgy back, and
c) and ergonomic mouse for my carpol tunnel.

This taken aside, I can keep my chair and mouse seperately, as noone else wants to use them! But its the whole issue of desk sharing that is worring me, and how I'll cope with being in last (I have to do school run before get to work) then finding a desk (if any spare), then trying to set up etc and adjust myself, its all stressing me out (already!) which doesn't help with flare ups.

On top of this, they are also taking away our parking permits and want all staff to use a park & ride service, or park in local streets nearby (THis is so its fair with the other new offices they are building which will have no parking) and we have to reapply for a permit, but you have to have a very strong case to have one.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can back my case dealing with my employers on this one? Who in the pas have been very supportive abnbout me and my fibromyalgia.

My issues with this are) my part time hours fit in with school run and
b) I struggle to carry stuff like my handbag, lunch bags becuase of the pain in my shoulders.

ANy advice appreciated!!
:-D
taljo
UKFM Newbie

Re: Work & Hot Desking

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Been a long time since I was in a work environment, so I'm far from up~to~date on the current schemes, practices etc. However, with your employer being aware of your illness/condition, you should be covered by The Equalities Act 2010. To find how exactly you could be covered, and what can be done to help you with these new changes, your union rep/staff association rep should be able to advice you. You could also trying speaking to your employers Occupational Health type people, or in your JobCentrePlus you should be able to access a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA) who can advise and help. This linky tells you about the role of the DEA viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10001

I hope you can get some things in place to so these changes don't affect you and your FM too greatly :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Work & Hot Desking

Postby Sarah34 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 pm

You don't work for UKAR do you? x :?:
Sarah B
Sarah34
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits