How do you answer the medical questions about FM

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How do you answer the medical questions about FM

Postby expost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Have just spoke to a welfare advisor about my unsuccessful claim for ESA. I told him that i had difficulties answering the questionnaire in relation as to what i can and cant do on various days....Some days i can lift my arms...some days i cant....How far can you walk without causing discomfort? Some days i can ....some days i cant !!! How have other FM sufferers answered these questions on these endless forms without feeling that they are lying!! As FM sufferers know, they really cannot know what every day is going to be like. Any info. Has anyone else been successful in being placed in the support group..and HOW? :-?
expost
UKFM Newbie

Re: How do you answer the medical questions about FM

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Like the DLA application you need to go on your worst days.

Cover this by any reports from consultants/diagnoses letters/any results from tests etc and make sure your GP has recorded down your worst days. This will be consistant to your application.

To get into support group you need 15 points scored on a particular question, its all :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: for example... I could have scored more points and put into WRAG then some one who got into support group, this is because mine was spread out accross many questions and theres on a particular one...

IMO its pot luck also as it depends on who you see for your medical and how they put things down etc.

You can always appeal.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby cuckoo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi I've just applied for DLA and my local citizen advice completed the form which was a great help as they knew what to answer in the correct terminology in connection with fm. If I am unsuccessful then they have reassured me that they will assist with an appeal. My previous job was supporting vulnerable people with completing benefit forms however with myself I found it difficult as I did not take into account all activities I struggled with.
Good luck and I hope u will find the support u need
cuckoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm

:goodluck1: with your claim, getting help is the answer in a nutshell :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 am

*Lisa* wrote:Like the DLA application you need to go on your worst days..

Just my opinion but think this is wrong advice, even although I've heard some advisors suggest a form is filled in this way. The form once signed is a legal signed statement of you saying what your capabilities are even if filled in by someone else. All it would take is some vindcitive person to phone in one of these anonymous complaints, and if the DWP investigate it , and video the person on one of their good days , walking normally and doing normal things it can be viewed as fraud.

This has happened to someone on another forum.

It's much better to be honest and state something along the lines of on average over the past 6 months , 4 days out of 7 I'm unable to do this or that. That way in the circumstances mentioned above, the person has been totally honest and hopefully has covered themselves from all angles should any investigaton happen. Albeit accept it makes the form filling a bit more laborious.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 pm

zappa20 wrote: the person on one of their good days , walking normally and doing normal things it can be viewed as fraud.

If you can walk *normal* and do *normal* things on a good day then yes it can be differnt. I assumed that no fibro can have such normal days and can do things and walk fine :-? ah forgot were all different cause even on a *good* day i can hardly walk! :shock:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 am

expost wrote:Have just spoke to a welfare advisor about my unsuccessful claim for ESA. I told him that i had difficulties answering the questionnaire in relation as to what i can and cant do on various days....Some days i can lift my arms...some days i cant....How far can you walk without causing discomfort? Some days i can ....some days i cant !!! How have other FM sufferers answered these questions on these endless forms without feeling that they are lying!! As FM sufferers know, they really cannot know what every day is going to be like. Any info. Has anyone else been successful in being placed in the support group..and HOW? :-?

It's a difficult one I agree. but they are supposed to recognise fluctuating conditions and work and score on the principle of whether a person can reliably and consistently meet the descriptors or not. Would work better if the ATOS assessors were reliably and repeatedly consistent in their evaluations.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi

I have just completed a questionaire from atos after being in the support group for over 3 years, i am hoping this is a review but i am still very worried the way things are right now. If its any help to you i have completed the form to the best of my ability but as some of the questions are difficlut to answer i have typed an 11 page repot on how my everyday life is affected and hopefully if i have misunderstood any of the questions, i have made it very clear in my additional information as i have gone into it in great detail. I am sure some of the questions are trick questions so i find it so much easier to put it in my words. I save a copy of all my outpatients appointments and i have sent copies of the most recent letters. If you have got any test results or copies of consent forms for procedures include a copy of that too.

The question on your eyesight is a tricky one because it says "can you get about in an unfamiliar place on your own?" Now i cant go to an unfamiliar place on my own but its nothing to do with my eyesight!!! Just thought i would give you an example of one of ???trick questions.

If you have outpatients appointments ask if you can have a form to fill in asking for them to send you a copy of the letter they send to your gp which details your outpatient appointment for that visit, just be aware that you have to ask everytime and you need to ask for this before you go in to see your consultant. Its still quite new for a copy of this letter but i have had 3 appointments up to now this month and they didnt bat an eyelid when i asked for this. Anything that you can send in to atos could help.

I am dreading having to go for another medical as i failed my 1st one 3 years ago, i appealed and they overturned their decision following a letter from my gp, so it just shows how valuable any additional information can be, i was then placed in the support group and that was over 3 years ago!!!!!

Please ask if i can help anymore!!
Milly xxx :-) :grouphug:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits