15 Months down the line and still fighting ..

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: 15 Months down the line and still fighting ..

Postby macca » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:14 pm

A key day today in the ongoing fight as we waived off my wife's renewal application for her current award of ESA Support Group. We supplied no less information this time than we did to secure her current award.

In addition we feel that we've evidenced further decline over this last year, probably 180 pages the lot. Hopefully we've provided enough medical and non medical support information to save Mrs Mac the stress and trauma of a work capability assessment, and allow her to relax and enjoy this christmas much more than last. We can but hope eh.

So for the time being at least, we sit, we wait ....... and we'll see.

Mac.
macca
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:51 am

Earlier on in this thread I talked about the Government demonising disabled people and whipping up the general public in their task. Sadly we had an example of that.

I took my wife away for a night recently, I could see that the ESA renewal reminder was worrying her and felt that she, and I, needed a break away from the 'normal life'. We had accommodation for the night and i'd purposely picked this particular accommodation because it had a disabled parking bay right outside the building, and there was a Wetherspoons just 10 meteres from the door, where we'd planned to have a meal.

After our early evening meal we were back in the accommodation quite early on and my wife was forced to go to bed early due to pain, fatigue and exhaustion.

We checked out of the acommodation the next morning only to find that the car (that was parked in the disabled bay, with her blue parking badge clearly displayed on the dash) was covered in beer with a busted up beer bottle on the floor next to the car. Sadly its not the first time its happened in the same city, albeit in a different disabled parking location, as on our last visit some time back we returned to the car in the morning to find that some sympathetic soul had mustered up the contents of their throat and launched it at the windscreen ....... nice.

I guess there's just no shortage of small minded a***holes eh?

Mac.
macca
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Time for an update then all ...... After submitting the renewal application for my wife's hard fought for current award of ESA and almost 4 weeks ticking by and hearing nothing at all, i opted to call DWP today for an update.

After a long fight and an ultimate 2 year award of ESA in the Support Group, DWP told me that late last week a decision was made to put her in the Support Group for a further 3 years without the need for a work capability assessment given my wife's prognosis.

Feels kind of odd to be honest. Yes its a massive relief to have that black angel taken off our backs for another three years, but at the root of this is the fact that my wife's health is continuing to deteriorate so not that great.

We did have some other good news this week though. My wife's Occupational Therapist at the local hospital felt that there was a real good case for an access ramp at the front of our house. He had the job priced up but the price was a hurdle. However he got the bit between his teeth and made a case for having it funded by our local authority. The case had to be debated by a team given the cost implication but the Occupational Therapist must have made his opinion very well felt. We've now been informed that our local authority will fund the access ramp. My wife naturally has reservations and was initially concerned about the stigma it may bring but we've talked about placing some woiden planters around it and planting them up with a selection of sensible sized evergreen shrubs and she now feels much easier about the idea of it and starting to concentrate on the positive effect that it will bring to her life.

Thankfully this Christmas will be much more relaxed than last.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Great news Mac a relief for you both :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 am

Very pleased for you .Have a good Christmas.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:41 pm

joining the others, good news for both of you
merry Christmas
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby macca » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Many thanks guys, its a happier house today for sure.

For you lads and lasses still fighting for ESA whether it be at the front end through submission of the ESA50 application form, or at the back end through fighting an appeal, I really can't stress the importance of providing a detailed account of how your illness affects your life. You should include as much medical history as you can including copies of all medical appointments, diagnoses, treatment plans etc. You should also not underestimate the importance of non medical support information such as a blue badge award, or a disabled persons travel pass award, or a disabled band reduction on your council tax if you've adapted a room at home.

Look at it as a jigsaw i.e. Someone else can't see what the picture is until you put all the pieces in place.

That approach has served us well on two occassions now and the next challenge will be DLA to PIP in 2015. At that point we'll be adopting the same approach again and that will feature two awards of ESA Support group through meeting the mobilising descriptor in support of the PIP application.

You should look at this as a constantly evolving picture. I keep an ongoing set of history files for my wife now and these contain all medical and non medical information that relates to her.
macca
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits