What can your MP do? Mine just got involved

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What can your MP do? Mine just got involved

Postby Dianeb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Has anyone been advised to get the help of their MP with appeals? I have and my local MP is helping with my case. But I'm not sure what impact this will have, if any. Does it really make a difference having MP involvment?
Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Spinal stenosis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain syndrome, Sciatica, Flat Back syndrome, L5,S1 Radiculopathy, Anxiety and Depression, Agoraphobia
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Re: What can your MP do? Mine just got involved

Postby denys » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

It cant hurt the more people helping you and backing your case the better :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Dianeb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

You're being rather active today Denys, thank you so much x I've just been told that the MP will 'kick them' Perhaps that's wishful thinking but in my mind my MP is the one on the right and DWP are on the left!! :face-slap:
Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Spinal stenosis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain syndrome, Sciatica, Flat Back syndrome, L5,S1 Radiculopathy, Anxiety and Depression, Agoraphobia
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 pm

As Denys has said, it can't hurt having them involved :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby macca » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi, it all depends on the MP. I've read about folks approaching Tory MP's and getting nowhere. I approached my Labour MP with regards to my wife's fight for ESA. MP's can't circumvent the law and so don't expect them to.

In my wife's case we allowed the application of the law in following the appeal process but when that didn't yield the right decision then my MP who, importantly believed she deserved to be in the ESA support group based on evidence I could show him, put the big boots on and gave me a covering letter to accompany a submission i was sending to DWP for my wife. That basically said 'sort it out and fast or i'll take it above you'.

In my wife's case i believe it was the content of the submission that we sent that ultimately secured the ESA Support Group, but the influence of our MP that got it considered fast.

So the key is its gotta be a team effort

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks Macca. I must admit I wouldn't have dreamt of approaching him if he was a Tory or Lib Dem but luckily he is Labour. I know the first thing is that DWP are being asked to explain how they have come to their decision based on the evidence provided. I presume he wants to know this as it is clear that they have either not read my application, my carers statements and my GP letter of support or they have read it and disregarded it. He says he will hear from them by Monday so won't be able to update till then.
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Like i said in another thread, articulate the facts, explain how your issues affect your ability, get GP and MP support and fight until theres nothing left to fight for. I know all too well it can be a hard slog but dig deep and be strong. My wife went from 0 points in a work capability assessment to 15 months later being put in the ESA support group and being told by DWP that she should have been in that group all along.

We could easily have given up at various points along the way but something kept us going and it paid off.

If DWP can justify decisions against you then fine you can't really argue that but they must justify it otherwise the decision is flawed.

Best of luck

Macca ;-)
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

I just had a call from my MP. The DWP are saying they haven't recieved anything from my GP yet - funny that, my GP letter was included in the forms when they were originally sent and has been referred to in the DM letter. So just called DWP and they have written to my GP again on 28th December but she doesn't know what for. No idea what is happening. It does seem as if right arm doesn't know what left arm is doing
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm

My local MP is Peter Lilley :roll: so fat chance in seeking help there :roll:

Mind you i did contact him a while back to *complain* about various issues one has been up against with benefits / housing and treatments.

He just forwarded it onto the relavent people and got back aload a dribble from IDS and some other person. So i think your best bet is the opersition.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby macca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Its frustrating i know. Just try and be patient but vigilant, try and dig deep and be strong. Make sure your GP knows where wheel has fallen off and so how important it is that they back you up again. I really had to push my wife's GP but it did pay off.

Good luck

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits