Invalidity benefit

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Invalidity benefit

Postby sharonm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi I am a new user and I was diagnosed with FM three years ago. I am now struggling at work and HR have set a review meeting of my capability to do my job. I have 3 options, i do my full duties, i leave and get a new job {somehow} or i get finished due to ill health.
Does anyone know if FM is a condition that is recognised by nhs as an eligible condition for invalidity benefit and how much that is?
I am getting more and more stressed due to my position at work being physically demanding and my condition deteriorating to the point I am struggling to walk around at times.
Thanks Sharon :yikes: :yikes:
sharonm
UKFM Newbie

Re: Invalidity benefit

Postby denys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 am

Hi Sharon and :welcome: to the forum :wave: I have moved your post into here as this is more suitable and I think you will get more hits :-D :-D :-D

This is really difficult, FM is recognised under the disability act and so your employers should make adaptations to help you do your job but unfortunately thi doesnt always happen.

If you mean Disability living allowance when you say invalidity benefit then it isnt the condition that is recognised, its the effect it has on your life. There are 2 types one for mobility and one for care and different levels of payment depending on your needs so sorry it isnt a straight forward answer. Getting any award takes time and a lot of people end up going to appeal etc.

Also PIP is being introduced this year which is personal independent payment which is going to replace everything so the system is in one big holy mess. SO before you decide you really need to talk to a benefits advisor and get some professional advice, have you got a union rep or anyone going into the meeting with you :?: :?: :?: If not take a trusted colleague or someone, we tend to get flustered when put under pressure so having someone at your side might help.

Anyway :goodluck1: with everything and dont let them push you around :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sharonm » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks Denys, it's all very confusing and worrying. I will ask the union if they will still come to the meeting with me even though I'm not a member. They have tried to put measures in place to aid me but my main part of my job is walking in a heavy uniform for 7-9 hours a day so I have been office based for the last 3 months. Thays why I was asking about DLA. I will take your advice and speak to a benefits advisor. thanks Sharon
sharonm
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cheltz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,
I am dealing with the exact same problem as you. I was diagnosed with FM 2 years ago after becoming increasing ill over the past 6 years. I have been off sick since May of last year.

My job involves a lot of rushing around and dashing up and down stairs. I use to work 5 days a week and loved my role. As the FM and various other illnesses took their toll, I reduced my hours and worked 4 days a week. I managed like this for 6 months, well when I said managed, I mean I dragged my self out of bed in a morning and medicated to the hilt, I worked in a haze of pain and collapsed into bed the minute I returned home. My weekends and day off in the week I spent in bed in so much pain that the slightest movement hurt. Even the duvet resting on my body reduced me to tears. Following a huge flare up in May my doctor signed me off sick.

I applied for disability benefits only to be turned down, I am appealing this decision. I rang the benefits agency yesterday to check on the progress of my appeal which I filed in June 2012. They told me that due to the back log, I shouldn't expect to get a hearing date until October time of this year.

Work by this time are fed up with the amount of time I have been off sick and sent me for a Atos review. That review appointment came within 2 weeks of my boss requesting it. Ironic that Atos can see you so quickly when it's work related but keep you waiting months if not years if its benefit related.

Anyway to cut this long story short (sorry for rambling), in the Atos report they stated and I quote " The decision on whether the definition of disability applies is ultimately one for a tribunal, however in my professional opinion this lady has a condition that is likely to be covered under the relevant UK legislation as the condition is long term in nature and has a significant impact on her normal day to day activities.""

Following this report my place of work is going to follow the reasonable adjustments I am asking for in the hope that I can return to work. These adjustments are, I have a car parking space in their tiny car park, I am moved to a job that is desk based and on the ground floor, No climbing stairs and not to be asked to walk anywhere that takes longer than 5 minutes. I do not lift bend or carry heavy files. My desk is close enough to the disabled toilet and tea making facilities that I can access them unaided. A phased return to work. I have a weekly meeting with management to discuss any issues I have, so that adjustments can be made to help me further.

Quite a result, I think you will agree. I start back at work next week. All I can do is try as I don't know until I give it a go if I will be able to cope even with all these changes in place. I'm hoping I can as at the minute I feel I have no purpose in life.

I hope this helped in some small way to answering some of your questions.

Take Care. X
Cheltz
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits