attendance allowance

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

attendance allowance

Postby umbrella » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi I am new to this forum. Got so ill my doctor asked me what do you want me to say you have got!!. This was 6 years ago. I suffered many years before this. Finally diagnosed with Fibro in 2006. Now in extreme pain due to repeated chest infections.
I care for my husband who has RA but do not get any benefit as I get my old age pension from the government. I phoned age concern to ask if I could apply for any benefits and they said because i was 65 I could apply for attendance allowance. I am scared to do this after reading lots of stuff on this forum however a wee bit extra could help me put the heating on more and get help when I cannot manage
can anyone please advise. Thanks to all who share and help x
umbrella
UKFM Newbie

Re: attendance allowance

Postby Poseypig » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Don't be worried to apply. I'm in a similar situation, apart from the age :lol: I have fibro and care for my husband who has a spinal tumour. I applied and got carers allowance. My mother in law, who is retired, cares for my father in law and she gets attendance allowance. You have nothing to lose by applying and everything to gain. The forms can be a bit scary but the CAB can usually help with filling them in. Good luck x
Poseypig
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Umbrella ,, your husband should apply for the attendance allowance not you , if he get it, you may also be entitled to carers Allowance (not tottaly sure on this one as it may be age related). As you only get your pension you have no "benefits" to be affected so I would go ahead and fill out the form . All they can say is no!

Ring the benefits office on Monday as you may be able to fill out the form over the phone or at the very least discuss your situation with someone, who knows the system.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby umbrella » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:35 pm

thanks so much. I do not feel so alonex
umbrella
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm

:welcome: to the forum Umbrella :wave: :wave: There are organisations, such as Citizens Advice, Welfare Rights, that can do a review of your personal situation and advise you about different things, not just attendance allowance, that you could be eligible to claim, as well as helping you with the claiming process. Your local council will probably have details of who/what is in your area, so it might be worth a call or visit to their info point.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jamieww » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 am

Don't be afraid to apply. I think that both you and your husband, depending on how your disabilities affect you, can BOTH have attendance allowance... definately get in touch with age concern or similar organisations, they will have someone come to you and help fill the forms out...don't try doing it alone...the help is out there and its free.
Take care
Pregabalin 600mg (2x300mg)/Butrans Patch 52.5mcgrm per hr/Hydrocortisone cream1% (for the 'burn' mark left with the patch)/Diazepam 30mg (10mg x 3)/lithium 800mg/Esomeprazole 20mg/Paracetamol 4000mg (8 x 500mg)/Sertraline 200mg/Risperidone 6mg
jamieww
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits