Employers visit!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Employers visit!

Postby sallzz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has had a visit from there employer whilst on the sick........I have been on the sick since November '12. My sick note does not run out until March, today I received a letter from the HR manager asking me to contact them.
I rang her and all she said is that her and my line manager would like to visit me in my home, they will get back to me to arrange a suitable time. :-?
I'm a little worried as to what they want, I know in my heart that they will probably get rid of me when/if I return to work.....I've never been sacked :( :(
My sick note says I'm off with Depression and FM, I've also got a prolapsed disc which I have been told I may need a metal plate, and ulcerative colitis.
I am entitled to full sick pay for 6 months, then would go onto ssp.
Sorry for waffling was just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation :(
sallzz
UKFM Member

Re: Employers visit!

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Snap ...my boss coming out on Monday for a "chat".

Totally understand your frustration etc about not knowing why they are wanting to come out , in my case I almost want my boss to give me my P45 as I can't see or feel a time when I would be even half the employee I once was.
I know he won't have a P$% in his pocket as there are procedures to go through but as the Occupational Health Service (OHS) have made recommendation about possible adjustments to my work that might allow me to go back to work on a part time basis . I think my boss is coming out to see if these adjustments are feasible for me or just wishful thinking on behalf of OHS.

Perhaps your visitors from work are on a similar mission. One thing I would suggest is that you find out what thier agenda is for the meeting and see if you can have someone else with you during it. ( If a member of a union ,I have often my union rep good to have at such things as he can talk on your behalf.)

I hope you at least know why they are coming out and make sure you are the person who dictates when you are available, If for instance you take time to "wake up in the morning" don't agree on an early meeting, ditto if you take a sleep in the afternoon.

HAve any papers from consultants etc handy but not on full view ony take them out if asked or if you think that they may be useful for your case.

Good luck & try not to worry

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby AJay71 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm

I worked for the NHS and when I went off sick I was bombarded with telephone calls, sometimes 3 times a day. I was not given any peace to get well. Towards the end of my sick note they visited my home and basically said that there was no job anywhere within the NHS that could accommodate me and my illness / disability.
I had already gone to occ health for help. They effectively sacked me. My line manager had made up some horrible lies about me... it was disgusting how they treated me.

I would definitely agree, have someone with you, you could even tell them you will be recording the meeting, for your own protection and just encased it goes to tribunal.

Good Luck.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AJay71
UKFM Member

Postby wilkoc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi,
I've had a visit like that from my employer in the past. I was off for nearly 6 months. It was what they termed a "welfare" visit. Basically it is so they can check that you are actually sick but also so they can tick a HR box showing that they are a "caring" employer. I wouldn't worry about it. My advice would be: don't try to put a brave visitor face on, just act how you normally do,they will see that you are genuine and still won't be fit for work for a bit longer and they'll go away and tick their I'm a lovely employer box. Try not to stress about it.

Good luck.
wilkoc
UKFM Member

Postby sallzz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank-you all for your replies....
I will probably worry my-self sick when I get the call to say they are coming or knowing my luck they will just turn up :(
The trouble is I don't look ill, if anything since being on the sick my husband has said it's like living with a different person, I'm not stressed, feeling suicidal or in lots of pain, I can do as much or as little as I please during the day depending on how the FM is making me feel.
The worst thing for me at the moment is my memory, I need to put all my med in a dossett because I can never remember when or what I have taken. I forget what gear i'm in when driving. I tried filling in a form for my husband the other day found it really hard kept making spelling mistakes and couldn't remember what to write....thats not good as it is part of my job; form filling..
I am not in a union, so will probably get my mother to be with me when they visit :-)
Anyway thank-you all again for taking the time to reply

What will be will be xx
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 am

Wow Sallzz you are bringing in the top brass...mum v's bosses .I know which one I would be putting my money on ! and it aint your bosses!

I know its difficult but do try and relax about it all, Wilcok is probably right, its more than likely just a form ticking exercise. As for looking better of course you are , one of the issues with fibro is not getting enough rest and learning to pace. Taking the stresses of work out of the occasion even for a little while ,allows you to catch up on sleep and establish more FM friendly routines. If you feel it absolutly necessary you could explain that to your visitors, shoudl they make a comment like "you're looking well".

Will be thinking about you

gentle hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby sallzz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Lol Iceskatemum

No-one messes with my mother, she is in her 70's even i'm scared of her at times :lol:
I'll will try not to worry about the visit I have more important things to worry about and if they annoy me too much when they are here Ill let my dogs and my mother lose on them :dogrun1:
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Dont worry about them just turning up they have to agree a time and date with you before hand. If they say 'you are looking well' just say 'thank you, you must have caught me on a good day' the problem with both depression and FM are they are classed as 'invisible illnesses' and so people often do look alright even when they are feeling rough. I'm sure you'll be ok :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sallzz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi peeps
Thought i'd give an update.....employer visited and it wasn't to bad, (didn't need to get mother involved lol). They arranged for me to see a doctor for an occupational health assessment.
Appointment was yesterday and to my surprise she said that she will write to my employers and tell them that it would be at least 6 -9 months before I was fit to return to work...... I also have full support from my own GP. It's one less thing for me to worry about :-)
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby sallzz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Me again!!!
Had another letter from my employer, now they want to see me to discuss the occupational health report :( they have arranged for me to meet the HR manager and the area manager, now i'm stressing out again, it's making me feel like they think my-self and two doctors are lying about my health :( :(
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:24 pm

They wont be trying to outwit you Sal, they will be looking at whether or not your return to work is something that is feasible. They might suggest redundancy (it was what happened to me, once the OH report said they might have to make adjustments such as finding a more suitable position within the company, I was gone) but that was my situation not yours so :fingerscrossed: it may just be a meeting to find out if they can do anything to speed up your return :-D :-D :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

Try not to worry about things Sal or it will add to how you are feeling. What your employer is doing seems to be more like standard policy/procedure that has to be followed in circumstances like this. When I was medically retired, I went thru a very similar process and my employer wasn't trying to outwit me or anything. There will probably be various options/possibilities that need looking into/considering before a decision can be made as to what happens next.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits