hi do you work and get dla

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hi do you work and get dla

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 pm

hi jusy a short question, my gp asked me if i claimed any dla and when i said no he asked me why i had not claimed,

i said that as i work i probably wouldnt be entitled

he said you can claim even if you work as i do have dificulties wich i need help from others. and should claim so i could go to hairdresses to have hair done ect

but after hearing all the heartache and stress people have had to go through i dont know if i should hubby says i pay my dues and am not asking for something im not entitled to ask for but just wondered if any of you are in the same boat ,

any advice would be welcome

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Re: hi do you work and get dla

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm

MB I have been in receipt of DLA for 2 years following a bad fall this was prior to a dx of fibro.

During that time I continued to work but as I got Higher Rate Mobility I was able to get an automatic car under the Motibility scheme. This was a life saver as I was able to continue with work , meet with friends etc as I couldn't drive our old car it was too heavy & cumbersome and I had difficulty getting in or out of it.

I also got low rate care allowance as there were some things I could not do ..still can't :lol:

Things like prepare a meal...... standing for too long at the stove brought on more back pain, couldn't bend down to get food in or out of oven , couldn't lift heavy pots as weakness in right arm.

Washing my hair ...like you I called into a local hairdresser about once a week so that i looked presentable for work

My social life is much more restricted as I can't sit for long and am very awkward about what chair I sit in ..need help getting out of some chairs given they are so low etc.

I have just had to fill out a renewal form for the DLA and am waiting for a response. I know I can do even less than the first time I applied but given what I have heard on this & other sites I'm not sure if the parameters for the allowences have changed.

This time I used the Benefits & Work website to help me fill in the form as the Fibro fog made it even more difficult...took me weeks to fill out all the differnet parts of the form. Although there are only small boxes beside each question I sent in a lot of additional information with the booklet to give a better reflection of how the bad back & now the FM has affected me

Appreciate it is a bit of a nusiance to fill out the form but apart from time you have nothing to loose. Give it a go, you might be as pleasently surprised as I was when my award came through . I had only applied to please my sister as she was convinced I was entitled .

Good luck X
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

hi, ism thank you fro the reply, i know in my heart things have gone down hill a bit to the extent that hubby left his job to come and help me do mine,

i have a problem with my hands at times not always and this affects my grip so makes holding things difficul the cooking thing is a nightmare for me and have ended with the meat for the dinner on the floor with me sat beside it crying,

just a example, i think its the fact that there are people out there with bigger problems than me who are being knocked back and a part of me thinks that i shouldnt claim as in not as bad as them

but like you said iv nothing to lose,

i already have a automatic car that hubby got me last year as i could no longer drive a manual and like you said this makes life easyer,

we have made some changes at home ourselves to make things a bit better for me but money only gose so far.

again thank you for replying as i know you are going through the mill yourself but you are always there to help.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Pepperty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm

no, no DLA isnt dependant on your income or wether you work - its totally seperate, in fact it's to help you manage to continue your life normally ( however that is)

Its hard work! (and exhausting. problematic and complex) but we do have a right to claim... the main issue I feel (against applying) is the mental stress involved. Many of us have huge issues with stress, I know I limp along OK day to day but I know I'm not capable of dealing with the extra overload of attempting DLA. If you have support and can find teh inner strength to take a pot shot at claiming - I say Go For IT! :-D
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm

oh! I forgot to say, I succeded 10 years ago in claiming for my son who has additional needs. Is at present living away from home and studying at university. (with financial and emotional support)

It was complex, and tiring but am glad I managed to see the whole thing through as without DLA I dont think he'd have been able to attain teh level of education and ability to become independant.
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Peggerty , So glad you got your son sorted out with DLA and he has gone on to uni. Makes a good feel good story for when benefits do what they are supposed to and give people the leg up while they are going through hell
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

hi,peperty, thank you and glad your son is doing well hope he achives all he wants to.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 pm

MB Thought I would let you know about the surprise letter I got this morning...it was from the DLA and before opening it I thought it was an invitation to a medical . However it was the results from my recent claim....glad to say I got middle rate care & higher rate mobility.

I am so chuffed as I only put it in around 18th January, I thought it would take ages to be sorted and even then given what others have posted about thiers I had concerns that I would be turned down initially and then have to appeal.

So just to let you know it can be straight forward and give a postive outcome...again good luck with yours. :-D :-D

Sorry Mods I have posted on another DLA thread earlier today but in second reading I think its more relevant here. :oops: :oops:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm

hi ism, im so glad for you its one less worry for you to deal with,

realy pleased hope this is the start of things looking up for you,

my claim pack came today also so im booking a app with disc to help fill it in as just reading through it confused me so much.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Aliscat64 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am

Hello

I was diagnosed last may after having many years of mixture of problems...............I am a childminder who has had to cut right back her hours of work to cope. several people have said perhaps I should apply for this dla but that really upsets me as I feel its admitting that I have a disability. Think Im still in huge major denial but since Im now earning less money wonder whether I should try.?????????
All my small clients parents know I have fibromyalgia as I have to be honest with them but I also wonder if they would get worried if they found out I was struggling sometimes to care for their gorgeous kids. :(

I can do a quite a lot of things but carrying heavy things for long/draining kids food/heavy washing etc is a struggle. Hubby is good cleaning sofa, lifting big items etc slightly worried that Im going to be pushing a double pram again in september.
Aliscat64
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 pm

hi, i have recived my forms and am going to fill it in,

i know where you are coming from admiting that you are disabled is hard but we have to be true to ourselves in the end,

i dont know if i will be awarded but i will appeal as i know that i am struggling and without the help of hubby and son i would be lost,

if i was you i would do what i did write down the things you can no longer do without help and things you have had to give up that you once enjoyed,

this is upsetting at first but shows what has happend and helps you come to terms with things but also helps you change things to help you move foreard to get more out of the like you live now.

well it makes me see anyway.

i hope you do consider it as it may help you and being disabled is nothing to be ashamed of as we are what we are and its not our doing.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits