college courses when on esa???

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

college courses when on esa???

Postby pixiepixie1982 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm

hi guys!,

first of all, i finally got put in the support group after a failed appeal and then re applying. im not entitaled to any benifits when in the work group.

im 30 and i know ill have this for life (with hopfully some good health moments!!!!) im just planning ahead. im hoping to learn photography so i can work self employed. this way i can pick up and put down depending how well i am. thats the plan anyway. can i do this and what help will i recive. will it work aginst me etc!!!!

i have two young children to consider too, childcare etc.

i really hope this makes sence, feeling tired!!! :O), wrote this b4 but lost it (im sure it was wrote much better!!!!)

x x x x x thank you
pixiepixie1982
UKFM Member

Re: college courses when on esa???

Postby Tina1963 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi there I was told by the job center (well the ESA adviser) that I could do a college course and it would not make any difference to what I was getting. I must say though that I'm doing the self employment thing and your still committed to do things on certain days, good or bad. I worry about my fog and absorbing the information, Also have guilt complexes about letting people down. Hope it works out for you xx
Tina1963
UKFM Member

Postby 954job » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi,

Can I just offer a word of warning re: self employment and Fibro.
I have been self employed for 22 years and have suffered from Fibro for 7 years. I used to work full time as a driving instructor but now only manage about 10 hours per week. I cannot claim sickness benefit coz I am self employed so enquired about ESA. I was told I could work up to 15 hours per week and earn about £92 per week whilst claiming ESA. As I cannot afford to live off 10 hours of work per week, but physically can't work any more, I thought great, the ESA will supplement my income and I will just about manage financially. What DWP didn't tell me was I could only do this for 12 months then if I was still working, albeit only 10 hours per week, my benefit would stop. It has now stopped and I am back to square one. It is ok being self employed and choosing your working hours, but believe me, if you can't work enough hours every week to afford to live, you are knackered! I don't want to burst your bubble, but believe me, take it from one who is up s*** creek without a paddle! Oh, and I forgot to mention, DWP came up with the brainwave that if I was struggling for money, I could always sell my car!!! To which I replied "what the hell am I supposed to work in?"
954job
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 am

Oh my god, sell your car!!
They are totally clueless x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 am

Maybe they want you to use dining room chairs and give imaginary lessons a bit like the imaginary help you get when asking them for advise :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits