Struggling with long long days at work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Struggling with long long days at work

Postby hpno1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi I work 3 days a week at my local hospital but my shifts are 13 hours long and I'm always on my feet.
Although 3 days isn't a lot, the days I have off I use to recover as my job involves a lot of moving around.
My boss doesn't know about my problem with fibro and I try to not let it effect my work but I'm also very stressed at the moment so everything is 10x worse!
I'm stuck with what to do.. One of my colleagues says I should tell my boss but I'm worried she won't understand (as ever since having this I have come to realise that no one really understands it's full extent! Except for us sufferers!)
Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
It stresses me out which causes a flare up!
How do we all cope!
Thanks guys :) x
hpno1
UKFM Member

Re: Struggling with long long days at work

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm

The logical thing to do would be talk to your boss and tell her about your FM. If she doesn't know, then she can't see what can be done to try and make things hopefully more manageable for you.

I know there's always the chance she may be dismissive of FM as a condition, but as there are always opposites, it also means she could be accepting and understanding about it and be prepared to help.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millieb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I can't offer you much advice apart from tell your boss.
But I just wanted to offer my support and say I know how you feel. Having a similar problem at the moment. I think the only way we can get people to understand it more is to talk about it and tell them and maybe they will begin to understand.

Hope things get better. xx
millieb
UKFM Newbie

Postby hpno1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Thank you so much for replying guys.
Yeah I know I should tell my boss but I hate the thought of it being more people who think I'm making it up or I'm lazy.
But I know you guys will understand how I feel!
Xxx
hpno1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:46 pm

I know what you mean about not wanting people to know because of what they may think or say, but not everyone will react in this way. There are those who are more open and accepting of the condition, the only way to find who they are tho is to speak to people about it.

Ultimately only you can decide what is the right thing to do, the longer it carries on for you tho, the worse the flares may become as it continues to stress you out.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby stormguy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi
The only advice I can give you is do tell your boss. In fact get a letter from your GP giving a brief summery of your condition and how it affects your working long shifts.because if you do this under employment law your boss is then duty bound to help you...:)))

Regards
Garry
stormguy
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits