phased return to work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

phased return to work

Postby tracie1968 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi, im undiagnosed ,but after clear MRIs scans ruling out ms my doc now thinks fibro possible, I've been off work for 7 weeks and I've asked work if I can go back in as I cant manage on ssp and worried debts will mount up.
Work has agreed so far on phased return to work, I have a docs slip to give them,
My job is very physical in a warehouse, I was working 46hrs aweek and fell ill when my body gave up, im still not great but am also feeling low so going into work hopefully will lift my mood.
I shall be doing half my hrs daily and lighter duties, BUT I am worried that as each week goes by that they will expect me to return to my contracted hrs and I know now I won't manage them.
They said I can do part time till I've had rhuemy appointment and know what's wrong with me
What will happen if I can't do my contracted hrs again? Can my company make me leave? ,I don't want to leave there as I like the people but am worried before im even there?
Advice plz thanks
tracie1968
UKFM Member

Re: phased return to work

Postby caz59uk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Tracie, sorry to here you're not well. Hopefully your work will be supportive. Let's hope you get a rhuemy appointment soon and a definite diagnosis soon. As far as I'm aware employers have to make reasonable adjustment so that you can return to work. There may be others on the forum that know more about this that I do and they will be able to give you the advice you need. Hope this helps. :-)
caz59uk
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 pm

going back part time is good n as uve done a few weeks u will know if u can manage a bit more or not. if not try n get them to employ u for less hours and get topped up with tax credits, if there available to you cus of your personal details. being employed is better for u than being out of work, but doing more than your body can take is bad. if cant get part time with them try another place. just tell em u can only cope with part time hours for personal reasons. dont tell em about your illness unless they ask. get your employer to say u left cus wanted a part time job and they never had any. my illness is up n down n my fatigue n other mental health issues stop me working.id love to get a part time job n mix with other ppl. u r actually quite lucky for a fibro sufferer. x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Hope things go to plan and you manage the phased return, they seem to want to help to the point of offering you part time so try not to stress too much about things as it is going to make you worse :-D :-D :-D :-D :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tracie1968 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks all
My 4 hrs back doing my usual job was hard and tiring, my shoulders, arms, legs, back were all hurting and my neck too was having trouble holding my head up!
My supervisor had to check on me ever hr and ask me how I was feeling and how much pain I was in and she had to write it down and I had to sign next to what she'd written every hr, silly I think but they have to do things by the book as I had gone from working 46hrs aweek for over 2 years to having 7 weeks off I'll and now I really do feel I will only manage part time from now on
BUT they are going to review me again in 2 weeks as they seem to think that I will be able to go back to my contracted hrs within the next month!, I doubt this very much myself! and am feeling under pressure already!. Thanks
tracie1968
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:58 pm

bless u tracie, hope u r managing.do what is right for u. if single n on low income from doing part time, maybe u can get tax credits to top u up a bit. take care x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby tracie1968 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm

HI All again, after returning to work on 6th march on a phased return, I have now (Friday 22nd) been signed off work again due to work pressuring me to do more hrs! The verbal agreement I had with them was I did part time (half my normal hrs) daily until I had seen a rhuematologist but my appointment letter has not arrived yet and now work won't wait they keep pressuring me and I can't do it, my doc says I don't need the stress and has signed me off for Month and said she will keep signing me off if needed.
Vertigo has crept back in and the muscle fatigue and bruised feeling in my muscles isn't improving and she stills thinks my prob cud be ms but the MRIs I had in Feb were clear, but doc said if rhuematologist thinks my health probs are neurological then he will order further tests whit im still waiting for rhuemy appointment! ,I have a second Neuro appointment for Sept and my next crohns follow up in September too and my crohns consultant is eager to know what else is causing my muscle pain and various other syptoms and looks like Neuro is waiting for rhuematologist to say if it's fibro or something else, im fed up with the wait and im worried about money im only going to get SSP and that's a pittance until I have a diagnosis! .sorry for rant!
tracie1968
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:47 am

ive been reading lots of info on fm in american studies recently, and there saying that fibromyalgia looks to be a nuerological illness, so u need to c both a nuerologist and then rheumotologist for the pain. brain mri scans show the difference of brain activity in fibro and non fibro patients. go on you tube and view the many videos. i found out so much info from them.x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

hi Tracie,

don't let anyone pressure you
stress will just agrivate your symptoms
be aware of verbal agreements, if in doubt you can't count on them

in my case the occu health doc wrote in his statement that I adjust the pace etc (which days, hours) in my phased return attempts my emloyer's linemanager and HR lady wanted to adjust it :nono:
my GP back phased return in his statement

I failed 3 phased returns, instead of building up hours and days I had to decrease and I went eventually back to GP for more sick notes
many moons later I am awaiting now for ill-health-retirement (and I will fight for that til the end!!!)

yes, it is a waiting game, it is frustrating and the best outcome for your employer would be if you would quietly go away
so hang on in there, wait patiently, do what you need to do (see diff docs, fill in forms, record all your different ouchs and make sure your GP notes them down too etc) don't let them frustrate you!!!

all the best
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby tracie1968 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks to both of you and happy easter to everyone :-)
tracie1968
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Sorry your not great at the moment Tracie 1968

As far as I know from my own experience .... an employer sees phased return as a means to get you back to full time working within a reasonable timeframe . In my instance my employer would have first given you 6 weeks and then if necessary and if backed up by doctors recommendation may have offered a further 6 weeks but by that stage you would have been expected to be at least on half or 3/4 hours .

Different from phased return is "reasonable adjustments" which is possibly what you might be well to consider. Under the equalaties legialation if you have had a condition for I think 3-6 mths an employer must make reasonable adjustment that will allow you to carry on your paid employment. This can range from more rest breaks /equipment that might ease your workplace /or even a reduction in hours.
The key to all of this is the term reasonable , if you work for a larger employer I believe the law expects more of them than say a small mom & pop type employer .

If you can 't manage full time try and discuss reducing your hours with your GP and /or your employer you may be able to top it up any loss in earnings with WTC etc.

What ever you do, hang on in there even if you are only on SSP ....as others seem to have found, if it is you that leaves employment for what ever reason you can be in benefit limbo for a while .

Good luck with your negotiations, remember to bring a union rep or a work collegue with you to any meetings so that they can take notes (again a "reasonable adjustment" given most of us suffer from some typpe of memory issues )

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby andrew623 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Tracie,

Are they still paying you while you're off work? If not, your working tax credits should shoot up. Also are you getting DLA, sounds like you should be eligible. I think there's a cut off time of 8th April 2013 until DLA gets replaced with PIP's. You'd still qualify for those also I would guess (even if you're working part or full time).
Regards,
Andrew.
andrew623
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

andrew u obs havent had much dealings with dla recently? they are taking it off thousands n make it difficult even for those dying to get it. i got mine stopped without any notification n under going a long process of appeal, like thousands of others too. sorrt its harder for new comers too. x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby andrew623 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi relf1960,
Yes, I know it's very difficult & not easy by any stretch, but nothing to lose in trying surely.

Regards,
Andrew.
andrew623
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits