DLA & Carers allowance

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA & Carers allowance

Postby countyfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Just a quick question.
I am going to apply for DLA again before it changes to PIP. I did try not long after I was diagnosed with Fibro but was refused as able to do things, even though I needed help. Now my arthritis is worse, I'm just recovering from a spinal op and I have been signed off work with stress! I am needing to get up at least 3 times in the night and need help then. Also because of depression and stress am starting to not want to go out-I know I won't be able to face going back to the horrible situation at work.. What I want to know, if anyone has an answer is, as my husband has to take on lots of the household chores and gets up with me in the night, is it possible for him to claim carers allowance too, or if I fail to get DLA again, could he still claim carers allowance, irrespective?
Hope someone can help, Thanking you in advance.
:-?
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: DLA & Carers allowance

Postby jennib54 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:19 pm

:-D :-D H; countyfan i don't know if your hubby can get carer's allowance if you don't get dla. my son gets carer's allowance for looking after me.hope that you're successful don't give up go to appeal it took me nearly 3 yrs to get mine and had 3 medicals fortunately at the appeal hearing they gave me 18mths back dated.
you could also get in touch with your local oc therapist for some aids if you need them and also get in touch with your social services as you could get someone to help personal care during the day.
hope all goes well for you. take care xx :-D :-D

always look on the bright side of life
jennib54
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:34 pm

To be able to claim carers allowance, the 'person being cared for' needs to be in receipt of mid rate or high rate care or be in receipt of attendence allowance.

Makes no difference what level of mobility you get as that is not taken into consideration.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Lolabolla & jennieb54,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am going to get in touch with either CAB or local disability advice service to help me to fill the forms in this time. It's a marathon, when you are suffering already, to have to go through filling these forms in. It really makes my blood boil that there are some people who seem to get DLA by lying, no questions being asked of them and then they are seen out playing football, jogging etc- when people who really need the help are made to feel like the criminals that those others are, and are discouraged from persisting in their claims. :-x
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Good luck with you application , I would also suggest looking at the Benefits & work website set up by a barrister. To get hold of thier guides is £19.95 per year but I used these recently and was able to get DLA renewal with out any medical or anything. I really do think the use of these hese guides helped.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby masonsbarms » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 am

hi not much help from only to say i am seeing my local disc service to help me fill in the forms for dla,

it is a free service with a 2 hr slot they help fill in the forms and help get any other things like adaptions to your home ect,

its is a minefield i cant face on my own so is there anything like this in your area,

i hope you are succesful this time and dont give up without a fight.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits