The dreaded brown envelope has arrived

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The dreaded brown envelope has arrived

Postby Graygirl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:53 am

Please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I've just got home from seeing my GP (I need an X-ray on my hip because of pain and lack of mobility in that area), to find the dreaded brown envelope on the doormat. I've been asked to phone and give my telephone number to the DWP so that they can call me to begin their assessment. I'm going to sign up to the benefitsandwork website, which I know a lot of people have found really helpful, but I wondered whether there is anything I should know/be aware of before making this initial phone call? I'm feeling very shaky at the moment, as I knew this day would come but now it's here I am just so depressed and anxious - not quite sure what to do with myself!

I appreciate any help and advice anyone can give me. :(
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Re: The dreaded brown envelope has arrived

Postby JulieG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi Gray Girl

The only advice I can give you is that if you have to post anything to the DWP please send it via
recorded delivery, they have told me and several friends that they have not received our forms
and they stopped my benefits without even informing me one time. The other advice I have been
given, that as fibro is so random, when you speak to them or write to them you describe your
worst day as in pain and abilities etc. I hope this helps a little and I do understand how daunting
this is, especially on a bad fibrofog day ....... good luck

Julie x
JulieG
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I'd be tempted to write back recorded delivery and tell them you don't have a phone..after all without ESA you'll probably be like many and really can't afford it anyway! At least then everything g they want to tell you will have to be in writing, or at the very least give them a mobile number...after all they want you to cll an 0845 number! Maybe I'm just getting beep minded over the whole ESA process :). Xx
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Graygirl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Thank you!
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby shellyjean » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 am

Hi. I was advised not to put a telephone number know any forms. I was told this by my advocate who is helping me with my appeal. She said that it has been known for them to telephone claiments and ask questions using the answers against you in your claim,appeal etc. Always have something writen down near the phone in case they do somehow conract you so they don't catch you on a bad day. Especially with fibro fog. Hope this helps you.
shellyjean
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits