Resignation and benefits?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Resignation and benefits?

Postby countyfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi,
You might remember I posted a while ago, that I had handed in my resignation at work, because I physically cannot do the work any longer. I have been allowed to forgo a 3 months notice period, in the interests of the company, so they can find a replacement quicker. However now I have been told that, because it was me that resigned, rather than the work telling me to go, I won't be able to claim any benefits. I hopefully can get a job in a previous workplace: they have advertised and closing date has passed but haven't heard anything yet! This is at a lot lower wage and I was hoping to be able to claim working tax credits at least. Does anyone know whether this No Benfits rule applies to all benefits or just Job Seekers/ESA?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Resignation and benefits?

Postby masonsbarms » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm

hi, as far as i know if you leave work of your own accord you cant claim job seekers and you have to be in work to get tax credits,

im not sure how long it is before you can claim but i know its quite a while,

you could apply for dla as this isnt work related,

you could go to your gp and try to get his help as to why you had to give up work and maybe get some that way,

was you on sick leave when you left if you where how long had you been on sick leave.

as i say im not sure of the rules but somewhere like cab would be able to help you i think.

take care and hope you get sorted soon. xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby countyfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi masonsbarms,
I had been off on sick leave for 13 weeks and had exhausted the paid allowance. What annoys me is that I was thinking of the department colleagues when I resigned. Admittedly I realised I couldn't do the job anymore, but I could have tied up the post for a further 13 weeks and claimed SSP but by taking only 1 months notice, I let them be able to fill the post. My husband does work but earns less than the limits for WC and CTC so maybe he could claim them until I either get a job, or can claim on my own behalf. I was initially off work with FM & stress but subsequently had a spinal operation!
Thanks again,
Jane :-D
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Nan213 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 pm

U can claim ESA I was on sick from work had to hand my notice in just phone dwp up u do it over the phone u will have to send sick notes in x
Nan213
UKFM Newbie

Postby countyfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Nan213,
Thanks for that advice. Can I do that, even though I would have been entitled to longer on SSP, if I had not handed my notice in? I was only trying not to leave them in the lurch. I could have insisted on my statutory 3 month notice period, sent in sicknotes and got another 13 weeks on SSP! I may hear from this other job I have applied for, before it becomes an issue but if not, I need a backup plan in place!

Thanks again. :-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 pm

hi, jane, your hubby should put a claim in for tax credits now he should be entitled to them,

as you know trying to get esa seems a hard slog so tax credits will help a little untill then,

i know you were thinking of your work mates ect but dwp wont see it like that as they have no feelings,

go and talk to someone for benafit advice they will help you fill in all the forms and tell you what you can claim.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby countyfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am

Hey Nan213 & masonsbarms,

Thanks for your help and advice. I tentatively phoned about ESA this morning, saying I wasn't sure I was entitled to it, as I had handed in my notice, mainly because of the heavy lifting that the work involved and psychological stress it caused me. A very helpful advisor said that because I had to give up as a result of my 'Disability meaning that I was physically unable to continue in that work' there would be no problem with claiming straight away - so I did over the phone! apparently the not being able to claim if you give notice only applies to JSA. Don't know how long it will be before I get anything though.Lol
:-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Hayley4321 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for sharing what is happening to you. I am co room leader of the under two years room at a day nursery. i work three ten hour days which means its often me that ends up crying! I seem to spend the other four days exhausted/asleep/in pain.I only get ssp if I am off sick. I have a mortgage and am a single parent so feel trapped!
Hayley4321
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledot » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm really glad you are able to get the ESA.

I have been off sick for 6 months now, and thought I had been on SSP from day one. My manager, however, informed me yesterday that they have actually been paying me 'wages' adding up to the equivalent of what I would have got if I was being paid SSP. This is because they are a very small concern and don't pay enough tax or NI to be able to claim back SSP (apparently, they took advice from their accountant about this, and this is what they advised them to do). He then said he can go on doing this until the end of June, and then I have 4 weeks' holiday they can pay me for, which will take me up to the end of July. After that, he said they would have to pay me SSP.

I told him I really don't want them to lose money by having to pay me SSP if they can't claim it back, as they are a charity and are totally self-funding. However, I did say that it would be better if they could 'sack' me due to the length of time I've been off and the need to replace me, rather than me resigning. I'm going to go in and have a chat with them soon, but he did seem grateful that I didn't necessarily intend to take the SSP, and understood about them getting rid of me rather than me resigning.

However, as OH pointed out when I told him about all this later.......how are they going to lose any more money paying me SSP than wages, as they are still having to pay someone else to cover my shifts etc. I'm now thinking I should take the SSP to which I am entitled, which means I won't have to go down the ESA route until January 2014. I just don't know what to do now. I don't want to upset them as they have been really really nice and supportive since I've been ill, but at the end of the day I am entitled to the SSP, so part of me is thinking I have to look after number one and take the SSP, to which I am completely entitled.

Why is life so complicated??!!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:32 am

Hi PurpleDot.It is my understanding that you need to have exhausted SSP before ESA is paid.so your work will need to keep you on their books until SSP has been paid. However before doing anything I would seek independant advice. Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Purpledot » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 am

Oh right. Thanks for that, Iceskatemum - I will make sure I find out before I talk to my managers.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby FinkyDink » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Just to say, I left my job due to not being able to do it any more and was awarded JSA straight away. However I have a meeting with the disability adviser on Thurs so may be transferred to ESA.
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits