USA to UK - What do I need to know?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

USA to UK - What do I need to know?

Postby GlumGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi! I'm a 27-years-old fibromyalgia patient from the USA who plans to travel to the UK soon, for the purpose of eventually moving there completely.

I receive maximum permanent disability benefits from the government here due to my health conditions, including Fibromyalgia. My symptoms were so severe I was awarded disability even before a genuine diagnosis. My Rheumatologist said that I have one of the worst cases of this dreadful illness that she has ever treated.

I do take Lyrica which helps me to get around and do most daily needs (I do have to have help cooking at times and some days I cannot have the strength to take a shower or bath), but every day is hit or miss (instead of all miss like before I was put on it) and sometimes I am housebound for weeks unless someone is kind enough to take me out, maybe followed by a few good days where I can get out by myself (I am trying to drive, but those days are few and far between). Point is I have pretty poor chances for clearing up (remission or what have you) as I've been this ill for nearly 5 long years with multiple symptoms each day. I have a string of other diagnoses: IBS, NMH, PCOS, IST, more. Doctor says more than likely it just goes along with the Fibromyalgia though I've been Dxed with ALL of those for longer than I've known that I have Fibromyalgia.

I am definitely unfit for any sort of work. Unless there's work you can do from a bed whenever days come that you can't sit up without fainting away. Ha ha. I try to do freelance art/game design/music on the side for a poor amount of money, but it is unsteady...

My reason for moving to the UK is that's where my fiance is from and I plan to move back with him to reside there, get married, etc.

Can someone tell me what I need to know in order to start gathering my disability information for a transfer from here to there? Would I have to live there for years and be a full citizen before even applying/transferring benefits? I'm confused about all of that what it takes to not be totally put out of money when moving... My husband-to-be is disabled as well, by the way, and I think he told me that his benefits were being reduced/cut off due to some government cutbacks or something, which has scared me from trying, but I want to for the sake of moving there and starting a life with him. I'm just afraid of not being able to survive over there with no income and not being able to work a real job.

PS: I'm not lazy by the way and am legitimately ill. I have a college degree and everything and worked extremely hard during my earlier school years, the ONLY person in my family to graduate with high honors from High School/College. I loved to work/school, this illness has just ripped me of my abilities to do so. And I'm only saying this because I got flamed on another forum as well, where people telling me the government just hands money out to anyone and I'm probably just a lazy girl unaccustomed for the workplace.
GlumGirl
UKFM Newbie

Re: USA to UK - What do I need to know?

Postby sezzaden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

with the government we have today i dont think any of us are able to answer that unfortunately and until you come into the country you cant do anything plus you have to satisfy the habitual residency test before any benefits can even be considered
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby ruth2013 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi there,

We are all struggling to either get our disability claim done, or are fighting to keep it.

I would strongly recommend that you speak to the British Embassy first or at the very least have a look at the gov.uk website which tells you about benefits.

My honest opinion, is stay where you are,the government are slashing benefits left, right and centre at the moment an those of us on ESA and DLA are struggling.

This morning I received my letter from ESA that says I am no longer entitled to Employment Support Allowance. And so the fight begins.

Tomorrow I will have to go to my doctors to get a sick note (something I have not have had to do in 18 months), then form filling to lodge an appeal.

I don´t mean to put a downer on your move to the UK, but don´t think you are going to be able to come here and claim straight away, you will have a fight on your hands, as we all do.

Ruth
ruth2013
UKFM Member

Postby sezzaden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:49 pm

def agree with ruth i am fighting my disability claim which i submitted march 2012 have to attend a tribunal next month for hearing so 14 month on from original claim fingers crossed the decision goes my way
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby Gaia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:55 pm

sezzaden wrote:with the government we have today i dont think any of us are able to answer that unfortunately and until you come into the country you cant do anything plus you have to satisfy the habitual residency test before any benefits can even be considered

That is correct and as far as I am aware, you have to be resident in UK for more than 6 months before you can claim benefits of any kind - unless you have children. If you have kids you can claim a small amount to feed and clothe them each week, but will get nothing for yourself and as the others have said, you will have to jump through more than a few hoops to get any kind of disability benefit - for example my husband is a wounded service veteran and yet has recently had his benefit stopped as the benefit agency have told him he is "fit to work" - he has physical mobility problems resulting from bomb blasts, as well as combat stress mental health problems - yet they now give him no benefits at all and we are reduced to living on only my disability benefit as no one will employ him with such severe health problems.

I would seriously think long and hard about moving to the UK if you are unable to work - believe me you will not have an easy time of it - none of us do and quite frankly the benefit system is in place for UK nationals, not for foreigners to jump ship and claim money from our taxes :nono:

Am I bitter? Yes I am, when both my husband and I have both worked all our lives, but now he is unable to work due to serving his country we now get no help from the benefit agency at all and I get very little - yet we have to make do because that is the way our benefit system works and we are being penalised for having health problems :yikes: :evil:
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby GlumGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:17 pm

He did say something about the government slashing away benefits which is why I was afraid, but he is unable to pull completely away from the UK as he has a mother to care for as well, but I don't want to be miserable my life long because I'm unable to be with him or be away from this life which is detrimental to my deterioration (I don't live around the best people in the world, it's quite abusive here). I'm not exactly fond of America in general either.

I wasn't trying to come hog up benefits or anything. I just legitimately believe I should have a right to marry who I want and get on the benefits if I can, in order to live the life I deserve. I'm an honest and nice girl. It's been a horrible battle and I think I need SOME form of happiness in my life after all! I'm really sorry if I came across as rude/selfish, Gaia. I believe everybody who is genuinely disabled should be helped out. I fought for 4 1/2 years of the 5 to get disability benefits here (someone had to literally drag me into the courts so they can physically see how ill I am for them to finally consider - and upon seeing me I was pretty much immediately awarded income. I really looked THAT bad).

Here is pretty pathetic as well. My drug addict cousin got over triple the amount of back pay and full disability and she has nothing wrong with her other than she wants to do drugs, and likely her money will go to buying those drugs. She's treated like a queen here by the govt and I was stepped all over and had to suffer and struggle to get any kind of help. So I can fully understand the unfairness of situations. It makes me a little bitter as well. >:
GlumGirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby countyfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

GlumGirl,
I do see your point about being with the person you love but don't think that even being married to a British citizen means you have citizenship yourself. My son's friend from University married his American girlfriend, who he met when she was studying over here. However whilst he got a job in Germany (He studied German at Uni) she has had to stay behind, living (and working) in England, in order to fulfil the residency demands of her citizenship application. The immigrants who can get benefits over here almost straight away are those from the EU, as there are supposed to be no restrictions on residency between any EU residents. Although I know it's not what you hoped to hear, I really don't think that you would be as well cared for benefit wise in the UK, as you seem to be in the US.
Is there no chance of your boyfriend moving to the US instead?
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

hi glumgirl,

i agree you should have the right to marry who you chose and be happy,

and though i dont know much about the benafits systom i know they are not as good as in the us,

have you also thought about the fact that the us iss far more advanced and sympathetic to fm than over here half of out drs dont even believe us when we tell them how bad we feel and also half of the medications you have arnt available here or if they are there to expensive for the gps to give us,

i would think very hard befor you make the move even if you was ok for money you could find you wont have the same treatment or medical support.

out of the pan into the fire and all that i know that given the choice i woul see a american rhmatolagist who knows more about the condition even if i had to take out insurance.

but what ever you decide i wish you good health and happiness.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm

i see why you want to move here, but if i were you, i wouldn't. yes, the genuinely ill and disabled SHOULD (key word here) get the help they need and deserve, but unfortunately, our government is too preoccupied with raising their own wages to help. cancer patients and thalidomide victims do not even get the help they need, so (even though i do not even know half of your illnesses and disabilities) i highly doubt that if you could stay in the uk, even if you somehow managed to find a place to live (considering everybody is being forced to live in smaller accommodation and houses/flats are EXTREMELY hard to find now, cheap or not), you would receive any sort of help from our government. my opinion? stay in america for a while, keep receiving the help you need and already have, and try again in a year or so, when hopefully, our government has hanged for the better. it would cause you untold amounts of grief to try and live here. most of the uk isnt exactly very nice places to live anyway! :lol:
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby GlumGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Actually have tried to get him to come and stay over here. The doctors over here (at least where I live) are not very good either contrary to what many people might think, BUT I found a gem of a doctor in the rough (after 4 years of searching) and I don't particularly want to leave him behind, but would if it meant being with my love, of course. Have a feeling a doctor is going to be just as hard to find over there as it is here (it's been hard for me here at least....most doctors in my area do not even recognize Fibromyalgia etc.), and because I FINALLY found a good doctor, I just would regret leaving to go through the process again. I guess I'm just lovestricken, ha ha.

I really would like for my love to come and stay here an extended time even just for a bit, and maybe visit my doctor, as I think my doctor could help and maybe even cure him up. He's just been extremely wary of leaving his mum there alone for a long time after his dad died last year, which is understandable. If even not to stay permanently for now, I do plan to take a trip soon to meet "the family" over there I have, as I haven't gotten to do that yet. I suppose in the end it's up to God and fate and whatever decisions are going to be made on both parts.

I just wanted to get to know what laws apply as a country to country move/visit I have never done before just yet. I figured I'd have to stay over there a considerable amount of time to even be eligible to apply benefits. So that part came as no shock to me. I guess time will tell what's to be done. In the meanwhile I'll still search up information I need and get myself ready in case the moving thing becomes the favoured option.

Thanks all of you for the answers, guidance, support!
GlumGirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby kat101 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm

I hate to say this but I agree with everyone else about you not moving to the UK to marry. The amount of money you would spend just to get leave to remain here is ridiculous. I came here to marry 9 years ago and just in the first few years we spend close to £2000 in fees for me to get my indefinite leave to remain here. £500 a time every time I had to go through the next stage. I am sure it is more than that now and when you go to get your citizenship here it is another £800. Also my husband had to prove he made enough money to support me on arrival because part of the condition for the first leave to remain is that you can afford to be here without drawing on benefits. When you get your indefinite leave to remain then you can go on benefits. So for some time you would not be able to apply for disability. My fibro developed after I got here. Another thing to consider too is the weather here. Fibro is very reactive to the weather and I have really suffered because of all the rain they have here. I really miss my California sunshine. If you can't afford to go abroad in the summer then most years your not going to get much sunshine. I don't suffer as much pain when it is warm but you just don't get that much warmth here and it rains so much that I really suffer. Like someone else said too there are some drugs they can give you in the USA that you can't get here. I would really look into it before I decided to move here. Cost of living here is high as well. Hope things work out for you and the love of your life somehow.

Kitty
kat101
UKFM Member

Postby Gaia » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Not sure if you have seen these replies on the Facebook page, but if not they are below for you:

Facebook user says - You will be entitled to nothing coming in from the usa..you need to be a permanent resident for 5 years or 2 years if you marry..... you wont get free health care until either of these are completed .....

Facebook user says - Coming in through the eu and as an illegal immigrant is different but usa is the same as us coming to america..if u plan to marry your future spouse will have to prove he can support you financially for 2 years or that you have enough money of your own to keep you going for 2 years before you are entitled to benefits or medical care of any kind.....
Gaia
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits