Finally! A Tribunal date!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Finally! A Tribunal date!!

Postby Tantalus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey everyone, hope we are all as well as we can be :)

I've finally got a date for my tribunal (May 16th) for my DLA (and maybe my ESA too, I'm not sure). I've just wondered if anyone who's been through a tribunal could tell me what to expect?

I'm getting myself worked up about it and it's ages away yet!

Thanks

Tant x
Tantalus
UKFM Member

Re: Finally! A Tribunal date!!

Postby lolo73 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm

I have been to ESA tribunal before and didn't realise it is all set up a bit like a courtroom. It has 3 "judges" one is a legal expert and one is a medical expert not sure about the other. Then they have a clerk who types everything that is said. They ask you questions based on your health at the time of your application, quite important if it is a long time since you applied, especially if you have had any change in your condition or it's management. I wasn't allowed to bring up anything that had happened after my application, so consultant appointments etc that are important to your condition but which happened after the original application aren't taken into consideration. I am pretty sure there are charities who can send people to accompany you but I am not certain who they are, I know I was the only person who turned up alone, everyone else was accompanied and I was baffled as to why until I got into the room and realised the set up. Good luck, maybe someone else will be able to be more specific about DLA x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby li-li » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Same for dla. 3 people on the panel, a legal expert, medical expert (ie dr ) and a disabilities expert.All ask you question's about your claim at time of claim. K went with just my husband and after an hour of them questioning me they sent me the result of them adjourning it due to needing more medical evidence! !
li-li
UKFM Newbie

Postby clubsound4 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 pm

good luck!!! I was very lucky the day I went for my tribunal, I had only 2 people on the panel the 3rd was still at lunch by the looks of things,, they asked me just a few basic questions one of which was how far could you walk without feeling discomfort,,I answered less than 25 meters, was asked to sit outside and by the time I got out I was called back in ,,your appeal granted thank you good afternoon,,!! the reason being if you could not walk the desired length then why should we ask you about getting out of a chair etc,,so someone was on my side that day :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby HelpingHand » Wed May 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi Tantalus,

I thought I better clarify a few things as there is a bit of misinformation here (not intentionally of course!)

With DLA appeals there are THREE panel members. There is a Tribunal Judge who is the legal expert, there is a Medically Qualified Member who is a doctor, usually a GP, and a Disability Qualified Member who is an expert in disabilities. The Judge will do the introductions, ask a few questions and then make a handwritten note of the proceedings as they go along. The Doctor will ask questions about your mobility and the Disability Member will ask questions about your care needs. The judge then may have a few follow up questions. You will be given an opportunity to say anything else that you feel you haven't been asked or that they haven't picked up on at the end.

ESA appeals are made up of TWO panel members, just the judge and doctor and is very similar in that its questions and answers.

The clerk doesn't make a note of everything that is said, they simply do the administrative side of things and dealing with the parties.

Hope this is of some help, though I realise you may not see this considering your Tribunal is probably within the next 12 hours...!

Regards,

HH
HelpingHand
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits