Going through the mill again with the DWP and ATOS

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Going through the mill again with the DWP and ATOS

Postby Adie hawkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 am

Hi to all

It's that time again and about to go for my third chat with the customer compliance officer then onto the the wonderful world according to Atos for my ( I can't wait for it medical )

The first medical I had was a farce I turned up armed to the teeth with paperwork from the doctor my consultant and the anaesthetist who was trying to help me control the pain , my consultants letter was quite scary as she described my disabilities to a T though she had put on the bottom of the paper work she had used the words morbidly Obese I find it hard to come to terms with those two words as I prefer large cuddly lad with extra to go around ? Not morbidly Obese

The day of my first medical I had a real acute gout attack in my right knee and right ankle both were very inflamed and red hot and of course extremely painful I turned up trying very hard to walk with my trustee crutches my carer come confidant stayed in the main waiting room I ambled on in carrying on the handle of my right crutch a little carrier bag the small size like a perfume bag which I had my medication in as per instructions.

It started out ok she seemed friendly enough asking some really dum questions like could I drive instead of do I drive she then asked if I went shopping to which I replied I take my carer to the shops for my shopping but I wait in the car till she comes back out I told her I have a land rover that has been specially modified so that I can drive it with the minimal of fuss. She then asked to see my knee and ankle to see the swelling and see what range of movement I had. Needless to say not much as the swelling and pain had really taken its toll on me.

Six weeks later a brown envelope dropped through the door on opening it and reading just the first page I was really annoyed it basically said that I was not entitled to any help and that I would have to find a job. I was so stressed and upset I did not know what to do I rang the DWP ELA robots up after an hour wait to get to talk to anyone and an hour explaining in detail what had happened I was disturbed to be told that the person who I had just been telling my life to could not help me and that she would refer me to an officer that dealt with my surname and they would ring me back within 48 hours.

Four days later a officer finally rang me back not that was any point basically told me if I did not agree with the medical advisor for Atos then I would have to make an appeal. I sent in the appeal paperwork and waited to see what would happen meanwhile my consultant laughed when I read to her there decision this was to change somewhat to words I would not write in here let alone be able spell them.
A few weeks past and all I got was a letter asking about something I had written in my appeal. I decided to ring to find out what was happening. What she said made me so confused ( I believe it's them that suffer with memory loss fibro fog ) she told me that they had not received my appeal form yet they wrote to me asking for more details about something I had said in it absolute rubbish.

I then sent in a second appeal form this time not in there prepaid envelope but in a first class recorded envelope and awaited there response several weeks later and another letter came but saying the same thing that due to my medical there was not enough evidence to support my claim and my last port of call was to go to a tribunal I wrote to them saying that I was going to be therefore it a few weeks later and I got the paperwork from Atos explaining how they had come to I was so flabbergasted when I read there report I just couldn't believe it so angry

A couple of days passed and I started to look a little deeper into the paperwork I realised what lies had been written. How they twisted just about everything I said after getting through the rubbish I came across some real interesting stuff they have to write a description of you so there is no confusion this I found to be the biggest joke of all she described me as slim to medium build with dark brown hair I had stuble and wearing a pair of jeans with a brown sports jacket yea really ? I am as explained earlier morbidly obese I have grey hair distinguished hi lights I like to call it and because of my fibro and osteo I was wearing some jogging bottoms and light t shirt she also said I was able to drive to the shops and go shopping that I had full range of movement the funniest yet was that I had walked into the medical room with two carrier bags that I was capable of carrying which was one small perfume size bag with my meds in .

I was so hurt , annoyed by all of this that I contacted DWP again and had a right go explaining everything to them with ensight I would have gone to tribunal and proved them for the liars that they are a manager called me two days later to tell me that they had decided to put me in the work related group but not do anything till next year

The following year I went to see my customer compliance officer ( I don't know why but I have real issues with that name I can't see where customer and compliance fit together maybe just me I guess ) I arrived for my interview and was taken to a desk in the main reception room no private interview room she asked me about my medical stat to which I replied I then started to tell her about further complications like not being able to clean myself after going to the toilet and sometimes being in so much pain that I don't realise that I need to go to pee and some times make a mistake she made out that she could not hear me and made me speak up I was so embarrassed and kept looking around to see if anyone had heard me she did say to me that she could send me to occupational health and have a caffita fitted I was dumb founded
And she also said that if I needed to clean myself I could always ask one of my new colleagues to come to the toilet to help

Two days later I went to the medical and due to the fact that my consultant had booked me in for a minor procedure but would be bed ridden for about three months in light of that they decided to leave me for another year in the work group my year is up and I am due to go through this whole process again I can't say Ian looking forward to this all over again I can hardly walk I have had my meds changed again my consultant doesn't think I will be able to work for a very long time if at all I hate this I really do

Well that's been my experience with the ELA and ATOS not good to say the least it all starts this Tuesday with the compliance officer followed by the medical a week or so later

Please people be very careful with these people the governments new spin doctors

I will let you known what happens

Be safe
Adie xXx
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Re: Going through the mill again with the DWP and ATOS

Postby Adie hawkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 am

I forgot to say
No robots or aliens or any other living organism was harmed during the making of this medical

Thank you
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 am

Very good luck with the next round. If you again find yourself I. The work group,I'd be very tempted to still appeal! I've just had my first call for a medical :/. Not got g alone.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Adie hawkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am

Morning babyjane

A couple of tips for you
1. Please do not go on your own that would be a big mistake take someone with you a carer or family member
2. Get them to take with them a note pad and pen and if quick enough ( abbreviate if they can ) just try to keep record of what they say and more importantly what you reply
3. Be careful how you answer the questions they are fantastic at only listening to part of what you say and spinning it around ie do you go shopping I replied yes I take my carer shopping but I sit in the car as I cannot walk around the shop became I was able to do my weekly shopping .
4. Ask the nurse that interviews you for her or his registered number it has been proved that some of these assessors are not qualified to do the interviews .

These are just a few tips to remember who really has been through this three times now

Be safe

Adie xXx
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 am

Adie Not sure if you are aware of the Benefits & work website . it is run by a barister who basically advises on ways to fill out all the complex forms etc. it seems its all about using the "right language".

To obtain the guides etc you need to be a member of the website , annual fee is around £20 . I became a member when I was due to reapply for DLA and also make a new claim for ESA. I think it was the best £20 I have ever spent, although the forms took a long time and were an awful hassle I used the guides for both benefit claims and was so relieved to be awarded both DLA and ESA at a higher rate .

Good luck with your medical etc

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Lorrie82 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 am

Hi I've got an appeal for ESA this Thursday I'm crapping myself. My fatigue is so bad at the mo that I'm getting so stressed. I had to re apply for dla in jan and they rewarded me it then 3 wks later they decided I'm not entitled to it, so ask them to look again but they change there mind. I've just sent off my appeal form. This stress isn't helping my fibro, hypermobility, and sjogrens I'm so tempted to let them win as sick of fighting if u get what I mean. :( so stressed so I know how frustrating it is xxxxx
Lorrie82
UKFM Member

Postby Adie hawkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Lorrie
I am so sorry to hear in your own words just how down you are please whatever you do don't give in so many times I feel the same the stress then the mood swings it all becomes over whelming

Keep your chin up

Adie xXx
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Postby Adie hawkeye » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm

AN update

Well what do I say about this, Flabbergasted that is what I am Flabbergasted I now know what the customer compliance officer is all about I turned up at the job centre at 10:42 am for my 10:40 appointment before I walked through the door my mobile went off and it was my compliance officer asking if I am coming to the interview. I explained that it was raining really bad and that I lived in a village where it was not the best of roads to travel down and that they had roadworks at the roundabout holding everything up and that I was actually at the front door. I hobbled in on my crutches and was for the first time ushered into a small little room where she introduced herself.

She told me that she was here to work out if I have all the right benefits ( found that a little strange as never known them to be that helpful )
she then hit me with there has been some allegations made that you are living above your means ? you have been out flashing the cash about I nearly fell of my chair I was taken so back by this what the hell does she mean I don't even get enough to pay the rent and have to go to the council for further help ?

she then asked if I go away a lot at which point I just broke down tears running down my face I gradually got to my feet and asked her to look at me Just look at me I shouted I am so ashamed about my size that I try not to leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary I am sick to death of feeling like I am being ridiculed every time I go out don't matter where it is I hate plus with the money that I get from you lot how the hell can anyone go out. she then asked me about Ebay do I buy a lot of Ebay no not really I do buy of Ebay but only because I can't afford to buy from the high street shops I suddenly felt like my whole life was being invaded.

I was so upset and so angry I didn't know what to do then she turned to my carer ( a long time family friends daughter ) and asked if she was in a relationship with me to which I looked at her horrified not really knowing what to say or do this is a young lady that really helps me out I was so embarrassed

I am guessing some one has accused me off all this Why ? why would people do this ? why do some people find it so much fun to watch another persons misery ? With acute gout attacks , severe Osteoarthritis and Fibro myalgia who the hell is going to be going out when you don't sleep your in constant pain dizzy blurred vision oh and of course the ever increasing chance I may have an accident
Not forgetting of course I am a big lad which I know does not help my cause

When are things going to change because I don't see it at the moment how many of us will still be here fighting ? how many of us will just have enough and give up ? when will someone from the government really learn about fibro myalgia and be stuck in bed ninty percent of there time or worse still not be able to sleep properly for weeks , months then on to years

its incredibly easy to see why some people would just give up I thought I had started the normal rounds of crap with the medicals etc when this is totally separate but hey don't worry Adie they will start soon enough

I don't know if anyone has any advice for me on this one but I would be pleased to hear from you

Be safe

Adie xXx
Adie hawkeye
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits