Hypermobility and benefits assessment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypermobility and benefits assessment

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

I reread my hospital letter and it says hypermobility as one of my diagnosis, I always knew I was fairly flexible even though it causes me a lot of pain to do a lot of the movement.

I am wondering about the atos assessment, how am I going to prove my pain when I have hypermobility? I can touch my inner wrist with my thumb with ease and without pain but I also have it in my back which is one of my main pain sites. Should I refuse to do the movement because it causes me so much discomfort? I failed my atos assessment previously because I was too eager to please. :crazy: :-?
lolo73
UKFM Member

Re: Hypermobility and benefits assessment

Postby Treece » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm

when i was in my medical (which I failed) I refused to do in the second medical the things that really hurt me in my first one... it caused me so much pain after that I broke down in reception and needed support from admin staff... you really can't win.. if you say you can't they say wouldnt and if you try and it really hurts you.. all they record is that you could....

good luck x
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby deanna dimech » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Hypermobility is one of the things most of us with fibro have in comon i was told at one of my fibro meetings.We still get pain with fibro,
deanna dimech
UKFM Member

Postby jom2774 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm

I have joint hypermobility syndrome. Google it and there should be one for dwp website. It makes interesting reading about what should be considered. Try to get joint hypermobility syndrome added as a diagnosis and not just the hypermobility bit. NHS choices also say something about it, which shows similar symptoms to fibro.
jom2774
UKFM Member

Postby Pipsie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:20 pm

How mobile is hyper mobile? I am really bendy, despite being laid up most of the time. My hips, knees, and shoulders feel like they slide around a lot, sometimes they feel like they need to be 'popped' back, and I can't do it and so cannot use that limb until it does click back, sometimes it can take hours. I also suffer from locking joints but mostly in my hands and feet-some times knees, sometimes I need to get someone to manipulate them to bend, I have had that long before fibro though it is much worse now... Of course I forgot to say I suffer trigger thumb which has spread to the rheumatologist... *sigh* :roll:
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits