About to be sacked

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

About to be sacked

Postby tony321 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I've been suffering greatly for months now and not been able to work properly since November and been doing medically restricted work instead.

I 'accidentally' found out last week that I was going to be tricked into attending an occupational health meeting where I would have been sacked, this after over 30 years working for the same firm. I've now been signed off by my GP so won't be attending any meetings in the near future.

There are some heartless b**tards out there and one day I hope they have to go through what I have been.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Re: About to be sacked

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm sorry yo hear what you're going thru with work Tony. Do you have any union representation?? If so, it might be worth talking to them about this situation as it certainly suggests that something very rotten is at the core of what they were trying to do.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulamcl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm

that is awful sorry to hear that. my friend in my work was off a few times for a few months each time because she had something wrong with her hand, she had doctors sick lines been for operations and brings her prescriptions into work so they know she wasnt at it and she was told if she is off again she would be sacked because its for the needs of the business.

there really is some sick b***ards out there. companies dont care now about the staff or lenght of service, we are just a number to them.

after what happened to my friend im to worried to be off sick and drag myself into work when there is days i shouldnt be :(

i would join a union if i was you to keep your self right and take the worry off because they do everything for you or go to citizens advice. i hope it all goes well for you and in the mean time focus on getting better and dont let them make you ill. i know its easier said than done but we all know how stress effects us.

big hugs xxx
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby plumbchick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Tony321

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles and pain. Surely OT are there to help not to fire you just like that? I was under the impression OT was in place to help people get back to work?....I am about to go through a similar thing myself, have worked for company for 6 years with on/off health issues. Finally diagnosed with FM in March. Now have been off for six weeks with lumbar spine issues after being taken from work by ambulance screaming in pain.....Now the only thing work have said to me is they are referring me to OT....so am a bit worried now that they will say I can't complete the job role.

You have my empathy and you are right about the heartless bit too, I would love my boss just to spend a day in my shoes feeling the pain I feel.

All the Best

Plumbchick :oops:
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 pm

So sorry to hear what they had in store for you Tony and I hope you can get some proper representation and get the best deal for you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Please please try and talk to a Union rep or someone who deals with employment law. Have you advised your firm that you have a disability, if not do so immediatly when you are off. I know it something that some of us have a problem with but it does offer some protection when things get rough.

I feel for you as it is a situation that many of us could find ourselves in given these tough economic times.

Good luck and take care , try not to worry to much about things .discuss your problems with the right people and hopefully they will come up with a plan of action
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby cameron1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 am

Hi

I understand totally.

I have been off work now for 8 weeks. I'm returning next week, although I know I'm not well enough to.

I wont go into my long history, but will say, as a Police officer I am lucky in some respects. We have a disabled staff association, who's chair man is vehemently supportive of disabled staff. His attitude is "lets not look at what disabled staff cant do, but rather what they can do". We also have a brilliant occ health team. The issues is HR and management.

I was told ....."if you were a self employed businesses woman and you had a member of staff who was always off sick and unreliable, irrespective of whether it was their fault or not, you would terminate their job. You, would not keep a member of staff who was costing you money but "not fit for purpose". I was politely told that the force is not a charity!!!! I either have to be fit for purpose, or ultimately they will have no choice but to let me go.

I got very upset and explained that it is not my fault I suffer with this condition and that it is not self inflicted. Their response was "well its not our fault either and in this economic climate, we have to take a look at staff who are not meeting the conditions of their employment.

I understand this fully, but where does that leave people like us. We don't qualify for disability benefits because we don't have enough"bad days". But we cant hold down jobs because we "are not fit for purpose".

What is the history with you? Have you had any previous warnings regarding sickness? Have any reasonable adjustments been made for you at work? Are there any reasonable adjustments you think would help you? What previous efforts have been made by your employers to support you and work and help you to return? What involvement have occ health had?
cameron1
UKFM Member

Postby tony321 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments, luckily I am member of a strong trade union and my union rep unknown to me was already aware and working for me.

Unfortunately my company seem or want to ignore everything the equality act says and I think they may get a rude reminder soon that they cannot opt out of if because it suits them.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Good luck Tony hope things go well for you . Sounds as if your Union rep is on the ball . :fingerscrossed:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby plumbchick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Pleased to hear the union rep if on your side.

I hope they get a rude awakening for treating you so unfairly.....Best of Luck :-D :goodluck2:

Plumbchick :oops:
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Postby tony321 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm

I just hope everything turns out ok but even tonight after I've asked to be left alone I received an email from an HR Manager wanting a confrontation. I don't know what planet these people come from or live on but can only hope one day they have something similar happen to them.

It is desperate for me seeing my life fall apart with even a short walk leaving me in absolute agony without having everything else piled up on top.

Thanks for all the support here, it is much appreciated.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Postby lolo73 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Tony, I am not sure how long you will be able continue though. I couldn't return to my job after maternity leave, it would seem the pregnancy made my FMS worse. Eventually I did get dismissed on ill health grounds, I also HAD to attend meetings with management and occy health whilst on sick leave, in fact every month I had to meet with my manager to discuss how my health was, plus occy health visits on top of that.
I worked for the NHS and at my dismissal the director who I had never met before tried to make out I was just a money grabber who had strung the NHS along with empty promises of a return when my health improved. It would have of course helped if the same department that I worked for had actually spotted my FMS and not just fobbed me off, it took 15 yrs to get a diagnosis, most of those years I struggled to get to work every day and spent my days in pain, I have to say the NHS are the most uncaring employers in my case, if they had altered my working pattern I could have returned. Is there anything you could suggest to your employers to make your return easier? Good luck x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby tony321 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 pm

lolo73 wrote:Tony, I am not sure how long you will be able continue though. I couldn't return to my job after maternity leave, it would seem the pregnancy made my FMS worse. Eventually I did get dismissed on ill health grounds, I also HAD to attend meetings with management and occy health whilst on sick leave, in fact every month I had to meet with my manager to discuss how my health was, plus occy health visits on top of that.
I worked for the NHS and at my dismissal the director who I had never met before tried to make out I was just a money grabber who had strung the NHS along with empty promises of a return when my health improved. It would have of course helped if the same department that I worked for had actually spotted my FMS and not just fobbed me off, it took 15 yrs to get a diagnosis, most of those years I struggled to get to work every day and spent my days in pain, I have to say the NHS are the most uncaring employers in my case, if they had altered my working pattern I could have returned. Is there anything you could suggest to your employers to make your return easier? Good luck x

Having spoke to my union rep it seems he is trying to negotiate my early retirement which seeing as I have no idea when/if I could ever do my job (a hard physical job with long shifts) again it might be for the best.

Saying that my company have made no attempt to offer me and type of sedentary job or any kind of reasonable adjustment.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Postby cameron1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 am

Don't give up and settle for less than what your entitled to.

That's the reason so many employers still ignore disability laws that are there to protect us. Because they bully staff out and face not repercussions or challenge. They are not forced to uphold their obligation to employment laws because so many people just roll over, and walk away feeling crushed.

If your union rep can negotiate early retirement for you, then that's great......if that is what you want.

So far it sounds to me like your employers have done nothing in the form of reasonable adjustments which I believe they are required to do by law.

From my experience with my union rep and disabled staff association I would say make sure you document everything. Keep a diary. Every snotty comment, or inappropriate conversation/confrontation.

Any HR/OH meetings I have had, there is always a note taker. I always insist on a copy of the notes for my records. And if there are any mistakes in the notes, I will immediately e-mail my HR manager, copying in OH and my union rep and say something like " please can you confirm via e-mail the mistake in the notes that were taken during my meeting".

Anything they talk to me about face to face, I always ask them to put it in an e-mail so I have it for my records. If they refuse or are funny about it then I send them an e-mail.....following our conversation this morning where you requested to see me for a meeting, i would kindly request you send me an appointment so I can ensure that my union rep attends with me.....

Any requests or issues I have, I send it via e-mail. And I insist they do the same.

That way, god forbid, this does turn nasty, you can prove that you have been open to discussion with your employers and actively sought help with reasonable adjustments. You can prove that you have done everything possible as an employee to help yourself and co-operate with them.

I would e-mail your HR manager back and say you are happy to attend a meeting, but you need a time and date as you are not prepared to attend without your union rep. Its paramount that your employers cant say you have been obstructive, or that they couldn't offer you reasonable adjustments because you refused to co-operate or attend meetings etc.

If they want you out, they will do everything they can to discredit you. You need to document everything and cover your behind!
cameron1
UKFM Member

Postby tony321 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:35 am

Cameron 1, thanks for that. We must be on the same wavelength as since they started kicking up I have kept a record of everything so if things were to go to the worst then I would be prepared. We don't have any kind of disabled organisation within my company.

One of the worst things to happen to me was at a OHS company medical last year where I had asked for a change of shift patterns and I was told by the OHS nurse doing the medical that I was 'worthless' to them if I was unable to do my full shift patterns.

I am now thinking if I was to get a fair payment and my pension then it may be for the best, I just wish some of these HR managers etc would remove themselves from the dark ages and actually act like a human being with feelings.
tony321
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits