Texted about benefit award

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby countyfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone can advise me on something. I have just received a text , supposedly from the DWP, informing me that I have been awarded benefit. My husband said it must be a scam, as surely this is not the way they would let you know? However I can't see how it would be of help as a scam, because it doesn't ask me to provide any details, just that they will send a letter to confirm. Has anyone else been informed of a benefit award in this way?

Thanks for any advice you can give me! :-D
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Texted about benefit award

Postby lolo73 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 pm

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/touchbase-ezine-may-2012.pdf have a look at the green page on this that talks about DLA. I hope it helps reassure you x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby SaraFibro » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:32 pm

they texted me to let me know they had received my form and then again to say that it was being looked at. They do update you via text :)
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease - Thomas A. Edison
SaraFibro
UKFM Member

Postby clubsound4 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm

new one on me!! I have recently dealt with both the ESA and DLA and not once have I been texted so it must be new x :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm

i've had this, only for dla though, not esa.already had a text to say they have received it, another to say my gp is being contacted x
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise that there was something in the claim pack to say they were introducing this. I am so amazed that things have happened so quick, as last time I applied, over 2 years ago, it took ages for them to contact consultants etc. I am a lot worse now though, both physically and mentally and had steeled myself to the fact that I would have to fight to get help, even though I am 54 and have worked full-time since 1989, paying all the required NI contributions. They say it will be £103.20 so I'm not sure what level that is but really I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I HAVE HAD A FAVOURABLE DECISION... :crazy:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Just need to check with you all, Is DLA backdated to the date that you received the form, the date you sent it in or the date that DWP get it back?
I think it's just lower rate care I will be getting, backdated nearly 5 weeks but as my problems are worse in the shoulders, arms and mid back, rather than legs and feet, I am happy with that. 'Every little helps', as a well known supermarket are fond of telling us! :-D
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm

From memory it from the date that you contacted them to enquire about benefit .

Well done glad that it went so well for you .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Glad you got your benefit! Well done!
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby awindup » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 am

Hi ... I think all departments are now sending more and more texts and emails with a letter to follow. Backdated pay is not usually mentioned just the award itself and the amount sounds higher than low rate care and mobility as its a weekly payment I think ?! Anyway the reason for reply is to say well done for fighting ( many ding fight hard enough because its too difficult to cope with the illness and depression etc however I MUST ENSURE YOU UPDATE EVERY BENEFIT AGENCY YOU ARE CURRENTLY RECEIVING ANY BENEFITS FROM !! tax credits , pension credits , housing benefit , council tax benefit, child tax credits , ESA .. Etc etc .... It's very IMPORTANT for anyone who is either receiving the dla award for the FIRST TIME or has been recently updated to the HIGH RATE of either care , mobility or both because DLA is a " disregarded" income and whilst it may seem odd that you are getting MORE MONEY you would think that if you tell them you may get LESS benefit however in many benefit claims the higher rate or I trod unction of dla for the first time can INCREASE not lower the amount of other benefits you get . I get an extra £28pw housing benefit and approximately £2300 per year ... yes two thousand three hundred !! Working tax credits for just low rate care and high rate mobility ! And that can be backdated to the claim date or in some cases the previous April!! I hope this helps and once again make sure you tell them ! Soft hugs and good luck.
Paul Pengelly
awindup
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi awindup,

Thanks for that information. I haven't had to apply for benefit since I left university in 1981 (A legacy of M.Thatcher) and the Job Centre were surprised they had no record of me, as then I was unmarried so had different name! I had to resign from work recently, as I had been off sick since 22nd January and there is no way that I could continue to do the heavy lifting that was necessary. I had been told that because I left of my own accord, I would not be able to claim benefit. However a very helpful assistant said that if you had to leave because you were physically incapable of doing the job, through illness or disability, this didn't apply and that I could claim ESA. I haven't heard yet about this, as I need to get another sicknote on Thursday but I will update them about my DLA award. I did ask about tax credits, as when completing an online assessment in mine and my husband's name, it seemed to suggest that we qualified. However when I told the advisor what my husband earned, he said that it was over the threshold level. They should really sort out their online assessment tool to show the real situation, as I wasted quite a time on the phone enquiring Lol. :-?
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby awindup » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 am

https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk ... rtal/ba/lp
Worth noting the DIRECT.GOV website has been renamed gov.uk however this benefits advisor gives you what you might be due and it would have told you straight away if you "over the limits " in any way . Then you apply anyway x
awindup
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits