Discrimination after job interview?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Discrimination after job interview?

Postby countyfan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Just needed to left off steam about this- not sure I can actually do anything about it!

I went for an interview yesterday, for a job that I did previously but on a lower level now. Although I didn't actually work for the employer who was interviewing, some of my previous colleagues do, many of whom I trained to do the work, before I left.

I have had to resign from my most recent job, due to the heavy lifting involved and was feeling fairly sure that I might get the job that I was being interviewed for. I tried to be honest with the interviewer because I didn't want them to say afterwards that I hadn't told them the full details of my disability. Unfortunately I have been phoned this morning to be told that I did not come over positive enough with my answers to certain questions and as a result I had not got the job.

I think that really it is because they were worried that I would need a fair bit of time off for illnesses because I wouldn't even have needed training to do the work, just a refresher course. Now they will have to train up someone from scratch and yet that was supposedly preferable to employing me!

Anyway, rant over, trying to think its maybe for the best because it would have meant travelling over 50 miles a day to get there..

:-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Discrimination after job interview?

Postby TeeferTiger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Yup, sounds familiar. So much for the Equality Act 2010. Unless they're stupid enough to put in writing "we didn't give you the job because of your illness" you've got no proof that it's why they didn't hire you, but you know that that's it. It's completely demoralising especially in a time when you're being told you're fit for work and why aren't you applying for jobs etc.
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

IS it a reasonably large company if so ask to see the interview marking frame and any notes that they might have made ( all paperwork from an interview MUST be kept even stray scribbles) also ask in writing for the reason why you didn't get the job. Once you have the info you can then make a better informed decision what you want to do .

If the person that got the job needs full training and you don't then I would have a chat with the equality people .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby countyfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi ISM,

It was for the NHS-I have 25 years previous experience with them too. I now know that they really didn't want me so much, that they were prepared to favour someone who needed full training, so I wouldn't want to work for that department anyway now!

I have been to see the doctor again today and she has signed me off for another 6 weeks with Fibro and stress again. Well now I shall claim ESA and if they think I am fit enough to work, then I will challenge them to find me a job that I can do and which will take me on and I am prepared to do it. I just seem to be having no success finding a job on my own!

:(
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 am

At least you now know where you stand Country fan . I would agree I couldn't go back to work somewhere I did not feel wanted or valued , we have enough on our plate .

I hope you don't mind me asking but are you a nurse or a medical secretary. If so you may be able to get bank work, my niece has just gone back to work after having her children and does so many hours a month banking for the local health trust in putting data . She is hoping eventually she will manage to move on to the out of hours reception as it will be more steady . However they have just discovered she worked in a pharmacy for a few years and took a dispensing exam NHC many years ago so are now trying to see if she will help when needed in the hospital pharmacy counting pills!!

It seems at least our local trusts are always looking for bank staff at different levels or area of expertise . it might also suit better if your FM is bad as you can pick and choose what you can do and you may also be eligible for other benefits to make up any short fall.

Good luck hope everything work out the way you would like
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby countyfan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for your replies everyone.

ISM I am a Biomedical Scientist and the problem is that all the local centres (4 in total) merged into the one superlab that I went to the interview for!

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit more positive today and know I need a complete change of course. As I am off indefinitely I have been looking into volunteering in a local primary school and doing a Teaching Assistant training course at the local HE college. I think from what I have read about ESA that you are allowed to do training and volunteering and still get the benefit. Is that true, do you know?

My eldest son is coming over from Germany this weekend and the weather is supposed to be good, so lots to look forward to.

Amazing what a roller coaster ride having Fibro takes you on Lol :-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:24 pm

County Fan,
I volunteer at my local primary school, only one morning a week (it really takes it out of me). Some schools will help you through the training if you volunteer. I personally like just doing a half day a week, actually my health likes me doing just one half day! I have found that TA jobs are very hard to come by and they tend to go to internal staff, so volunteers who have had placement with the school during training. BTW I also came from the NHS, they aren't so caring towards their own staff.
lolo73
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits