[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Job Hunting and coping with negative feedback

Job Hunting and coping with negative feedback

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Job Hunting and coping with negative feedback

Postby blackbird » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi All

Having been on benefits for a number of years due to ill health I decided in January to start looking for work and to enhance my prospects started some office based voluntary work.

To my surprise I have attended a number of interviews, although received e-mails stating I was unsuccessful. I have never mentioned or been asked anything about my medical condition. With regard to feed back I have never asked for any but today after a five hour interview yesterday along with 5 other people I received some very negative feed back which completely took me by surprise and to be honest left me speechless, empty inside and after receiving the telephone call I had to rush to the bathroom and was physically sick.

Obviously, I appreciate I have taken the feedback badly, although after going for so many interviews I had convinced myself that I was doing something wrong but still quite shocked that a professional individual could be so brutally blunt. This afternoon I telephoned a training company and am attending an interview techniques course next week.

Has anyone any tips or helpful comments which would boost my moral to continue with the job search. Any thing constructive would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
blackbird
UKFM Newbie

Re: Job Hunting and coping with negative feedback

Postby BuiltClever » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi
-
I am sorry to learn of your poor experience with a prospective employer. It would be useful to know what the negative feedback consisted of, in order to guide you further. Well done for gaining interviews - it is a good measure of your potential and worth in a difficult arena! Keep applying and come back to me soon.
BuiltClever
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 pm

You must be doing something right to get yourself to the interview stage :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: So hopefully this course you will be doing will be able to show you how to build on the good points you obviously have to help make the actual interview itself a more positive aspect as well.

It's a long, long time since I was in an interview position, in fact it's been a long time since I was in a position to work, so I doubt that I can offer you any suitable advice :( :( :( :( :( If you can bring yourself to share some of the disparaging comments that this :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: said tho, there might be some others who can offer you some helpful suggestions about things. I did also wonder if you had any right of recourse to do with the feedback comments that you received. Non of us like to hear negative things about ourselves, but the way something is said makes such a difference to how someone reacts, thinks and feels. Something that is said in a constructive manner is much more likely to make someone go away and think about what was said and what can be done to improve/change things for the better than a cruel and cutting comment.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: and :welcome: to our FibroFamily :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby blackbird » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Thank you BuiltClever and FluppyPuffy for your replies. I feel much better today and have resumed my daily job search but still feel rather out of sorts after hearing the comments with regard to my personality.

As I am in the support group for ESA there is no pressure for me to return to work but I have willingly chosen to as I do not wish to get caught up with the benefit changes and Universal Credit. Although this is proving more difficult than I thought as I commenced my job hunting in January.

I was also very disappointed to hear that with the new universal credit there is no disability element and I shall not be entitled to claim anything at all, whereas with working tax credit and the disability element I have the opportunity to work part time. So the pressure is really on now to return to work whilst working tax credit is still up and running and go for the option of claiming transitional relief.

I am beginning to think that an Atos Medical is easier to undergo than the job hunting and finding a job. I am sure many others would disagree with this statement and I do not wish to upset anyone after reading so much negativity with regards to Atos on the forum.

Thank you both again. Have a lovely weekend.
blackbird
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits