Quick Question on ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Quick Question on ESA

Postby countyfan » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

Just another quick question about ESA, from a newbie to the system, which I am sure someone will be able to advise me on.

I received my letter today, saying that I have been awarded payments from 21st April and understand from others, that this is paid 2 weekly. My question is however, although I have sent them a sicknote for 6 weeks, dated 18th April-I have now been sent the ESA50 questionnaire to fill in, so does this mean that, even if you have a sicknote from your GP, ATOS can say you aren't entitled to the benefit?

I am only claiming contribution based ESA and the consultant who performed the operation on my neck, says that I can only do a few light activities for at least 3 months, until my next appointment with him. I now know how people must feel when they aren't fit to go to work but are deemed to be able to by ATOS! I am also having some mental and anxiety issues now, having been off work for so long and not even finding any suitable jobs I could apply for, even if I was fit.

Hope someone can advise me about this-I suppose if it comes to the worst I will have to claim job seekers allowance but at the moment I can't face the thought of not being able to do some sort of work for that long. I noticed that contribution based ESA only covers 365 days. Can you then claim JSA afterwards? :(
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Quick Question on ESA

Postby kenco1973 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am

you are entitled to esa the ESA50 will be sent to atos as your response to a medical you will be sent for they use the information that you put on the form you will need to send sick notes until you have medical and get the outcome from that
kenco1973
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

It sounds like you're currently in the Assessment Phase for ESA, which is supposed to last for 13 weeks, but with the mess the system is in, it's not unusual for it to last quite a bit longer. During the assessment phase the amount you are paid should be the same as you would receive if you were claiming JSA.

During this phase, you have to undertake the Work Capability Assessment, which is why you've been sent the ESA50 form to fill in. This is the ludicrous part of the process that is supposed to determine if you are entitled to ESA, and if so, whether you will be placed in WRAG or the Support Group.

Until you've had your WCA and been advised of the fate they have decided for you, you'll need to keep sending them sick notes, so it might be wroth seeing if your GP will issue you a longer one to cover your recovery time and well into the time it could take for you to go thru the WCA to save you having to go in for them as frequently.

You should also mention your mental and anxiety issues that have started to emerge as there will be ways to help with them, and the earlier something is dealt with, the easier it can be to get it back under control :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Fri May 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for that advice.

So they can't stop you having the ESA while you have a sick note to cover it then?
I feel like I'm virtually living at the GP's at the moment, as I also have these fainting episodes, which they're not sure are due to after effects of the operation, or my blood pressure!

Anything is preferable to the hell my life was before the operation though.. My work actually caused my symptoms to get worse and because the GP has diagnosed stress disorder as well as anxiety and depression, I have been referred to a mental illness support service locally.

Once again greatly appreciate your help - it's just all so confusing :-?
countyfan
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits