Working with Fibromyalgia

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Working with Fibromyalgia

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi All

I am fairly new to this forum and I am sure this is a question that has been asked many times before, however for ease of my constant worrying about the future, I was just wondering if anyone still manages to work part or full time with Fibro?

For me the fatigue is the real killer and I rarely sleep more than 4-5 hours a night if im lucky! :sleep:

Pre fibro I worked 4 days a week, 28 hours as I am also a mum of two...I now find this really hard and have dropped to two days a week, about 14 hours. It is a sit down office job, so not very manual, however a lot of computer work involved.

I was hoping to be able to get back to 3/4 days a week, when I have fibro more under control (only had it about 5 months)

Can anyone tell me any positive stories about work and if they still manage it?

Look forward to hearing from you :-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Working with Fibromyalgia

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Jiffled you over into this bit of forum with you asking about working Wackers as it's a more suitable board.

No advice from me I'm afraid, 2000 was the last time I worked, and I was medically retired the following year :( :( :( There are plenty on here who have managed to keep working, some can manage full time, others have reduced their hours/gone part time, so it is possible to do it when you find the right balance of things for you.

There are people and organisations who can provide help and advice to make your job as suitable for you to carry on doing it. Depending on the size of the place you work for, they may have their own adviser and there are Disability Employment Advisers in local JobCentres that can help you access different things that might help you with finding that balance to enable you to look at increasing your hours again at some point in the future.

When you find yourself reaching the point where you feel ready to try adding some more hours, it might be worth talking to them to see what could possibly be done to help you with things. For the now tho, getting your FM to behave more like you want it to rather than it trying to run everything will take quite a bit of work and time, so just go day~by~day, listen to your body as it will help you learn what things can aggravate things and make them flare up, and as you find out more about how you are affected, see how you might be able to use it to help with that eventual goal of adding some more working hours to you week :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zaralala » Fri May 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Hiya,
I have had this pain for about 25 years and only been diagnosed a couple of years ago.
I work full time, 35 hours, have 1 son and run a home.
Sometimes its hard going, but I never give up. I will not let it win.
I only sleep for about 4 hours a night, but have learned to live with it and try to catch up over the weekend.
I hope you get your pain under control and are able to do as you want again.
Big hugs xxx
zaralala
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks FluffyPuffy, I always get the wrong place for posting :oops:

Thats such good advice. Yes it is a large organisation so I might enquire about it. They know about my fibro and have been very supportive thus far. Plus my colleagues all know and help me...they have even named it :lol:

I worry a lot about the future and with having such small kids 2 and 4, I worry how it will affect them and their growing up. Will I stil be able to do day trips? Holidays? We are yet to go abroad as a family as it is and now it seems impossible..I worry too much :(

I seem to have developped a lot of symptoms fast over the last 5 months and have days where everything seems hopeless...Luckily I have a great hubbie who takes charge of kids when I can't.

Zaralala, have you managed to get your pain under control a bit? Thats very impressive and I hope I can be like that at some point.
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby Hayley4321 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am

I work 30 hours a week and have just applied for Access to Work so I can get there with as little pain as possible. I worry too about kids, my mortgage as I am single........ think I ll have to keep going no matter what!!
Hayley4321
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits