Signed Off

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Signed Off

Postby machin1969 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

Hi all

This is my first post and I'm looking for some advise please.

10 days ago I was signed off work with depression, my doctor diagnosed me with FM over 2 years ago and, whilst my employer knows this and I was supposed to be slowing things down at work, we got busy and I was heaped with more and more until I cracked. Unfortunately, being a typical male, I didnt talk to anyone about this and tried to get on with it.

Over the prior 6 weeks or so I'd been getting more and more tired, not sleeping properly, worse pain and fog.

I'm due back to the Doctor this Thursday for an update and have a few worries:

1. Can I return to work/should I return to work, i'm mostly worried about paying bills etc and letting my partner down, she doesnt earn enough to cover them.
My work involves either heavy lifting, lots of driving, or lots of office /computer work, obviously all of these increase fatigue/pain, or both.

2. Where can I get help if I'm signed off further. Will I be able to claim anything after 4 weeks off (I will only receive SSP).

3. I was considering starting my own photographic business prior to this, originally doing odd shoots at weekends, however,, in my current state (mental and physical), this would not be an option as I'm too tired when not at work to do anything other than watch TV. Is there any help that anyone knows of for someone in my position to set up a business from home?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sorry there's so much there, but any help on any of these points would be appreciated.

Andy
machin1969
UKFM Newbie

Re: Signed Off

Postby Purpledot » Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am

Hi there

I'm really sorry you've been put in this position.

I am currently signed off, and I do know that your employers are obliged to pay you the standard SSP for at least 28 weeks. I know this as I am now fast approaching my 28th week and have no idea what to do next! :-?

The problem is, these things are so complicated and so stressful that they actually make us feel worse with all the worry! :crazy: What a ridiculous system.

Anyway, I just thought I would give you a heads up on the SSP thing, and wish you lots of luck with things xx
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby countyfan » Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 am

Hi,

I think that you can claim ESA even whilst still being employed but off work sick, once your SSP runs out. I actually resigned, because I knew that I wouldn't ever be able to do the work again but if others on here could confirm, I'm sure when I investigated, that you can still have a job while getting it.

If anybody knows the definite ruling on this, could you post to confirm/deny. I'm sure if you phoned DWP and asked they would tell you what you can get. Have you tried for DLA too? You can definitely get that whilst working, as I was awarded it before I gave the job up!

All the best. :-)
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi, and :welcome:

I am officially still emploid
after SSP I went onto ESA contribution based and then to ESA incomebased
so, yes you can get ESA whilst still employed

your sick pay is depending on your contract details

you should be covered by Disability Act, especially when your employer knows about FMS

to 1) is it safe for you and others to go back?
to 2) you could try Housing benefit, it is income based, which will take your girlfriends income into account,
to 3) I think to remember ( :crazy: ) that here are some peaple around who know do exactly that

there is more to say and I am sure others will get in touch soon
bit foggy today :coffee1:
all the best
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby machin1969 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Wow

Thanks all the speedy responses.

Andy
machin1969
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 13, 2013 1:06 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

WRT your questions:~
1) I'm with fibro~lu about the safety side of things, not just for you, but also for your work colleagues. Plus, it is only you that really knows how you are feeling and being affected by things.

2) Contact someone like Citizens Advice for advice about what you may be eligible to claim. They are familiar with the system and should be able to give you advice specific to your situation, and may even be able to help you with the actual claims process.

3) Disability Employment Advisers based in JobCentrePluses can help with info about working, potential help and courses available etc.

You'll need to speak to your employer about your SSP and how long you are entitled to it so that you can start putting new/alternative plans onto place for when/if you near the point where it will be running out.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby machin1969 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Update

Went back to the Doc yesterday, he's signed me off for another 2 weeks, so I'll look into ESA today. Also had bloods taken to check Thyroid, Anaemia, etc.

After that, he may let me return to work on a phased basis, but now waiting for the 30th so I can find out.
machin1969
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits