When is your second ESA application a New application?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When is your second ESA application a New application?

Postby Clumsy1 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I went through the ESA application process 18months ago, initially it was turned down, I appealed and won and was put in the WRAG. But as I was on contribution based ESA I had only 12months benefit, this has now finished. Due to a lack of funds I was forced to go back to work and end my ESA status, this was just 3 weeks ago. After going back to work my condition has got much worse again. No surprises there!!! Anyway I need to go back on to ESA so I've been told that if I put a claim in now it will just open up the initial one again and I'll go straight back into the WRAG with no benefit. Jobcentre plus advised me that if the new claim goes in a certain number of weeks after i ended the first claim then the second claim becomes a completely new claim again, and I would therefor get the benefit again, only for twelve months again ofcourse!!! They unfortunately wouldn't tell me how many weeks I need to wait from ending my first claim to putting my second claim in, very helpful of them!! So.....does anyone know when your new application needs to be put in so that it's not just an attachment to a previous claim?
I hope all of that made sense.
Thanks for reading this, and if you do know and reply, thanks a lot, it's very much appreciated.
Helen
:-)
Clumsy1
UKFM Newbie

Re: When is your second ESA application a New application?

Postby cate2979 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Can you not just apply again and include a letter from your GP stating that your condition has worsened making you unable to return to or continue to work?
Maybe it could be a change of circumstances instead of a new claim.
cate2979
UKFM Newbie

Re: When is your second ESA application a New application?

Postby fibrofrith » Tue May 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Helen
I think it has to be a minimum of 6 weeks before you can put in a new claim. Do you have a partner as this has a big bearing on whether or not you will be able to claim income based ESA as the earnings limit is less than £8000 per year.
If i can be of anymore help just give me a shout

Claire
fibrofrith
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits