College rejection

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

College rejection

Postby Bexbexbex » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I had a interview for college for a care course today. When I got called in, my hip went from me and I started limping because I had sat done for a whole waiting. The interviewer said to me, "oh what's wrong with your foot" I said " oh it's my hip that hurts" she continued to say " must be a trapped nerve as your too young for arthritis" so I then informed her I had been diagnosed with spondilyarthitus and fibro.
The interview went well, I told her that I'm trying to manage my pain before college starts in September, everything went well.
About half hour after I left the interview, I got a phone call from her basically saying I had been rejected for my condition, that I had to speak to OHSAS, the occupational health, and get a medical before re applying NEXT YEAR!
Now OHSAS here is only for people in the healthcare sector, so I've no hope of getting a medical.

After this essay the question is... Are they allowed to call me up after the interview and basically reject me because of my two conditions? I felt very angry and embarrassed, she basically said it was a waste of time applying.

What do you think I should do?
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Re: College rejection

Postby masonsbarms » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

hi, this is awful and i dont think this is right,

have you got a disability equality office near you or some other group for the disabled, as they will give you advice and help fight for your rights,

i hope that you look into this and others can give you better advice than me,

good luck and fight for your place,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

College rejection

Postby Bexbexbex » Wed May 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I'm thinking about going citizens advice about it. My head is foggy at the minute due to dizzy spells and because of my anger. So in the morning ill make sure to call some advice centres and see what happens. I know once my pain is under control that I can do it.

I'm still young, 23, and to have someone tell me that is really heartbreaking.

Many thanks x
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Thats not right at all, my daughter is 17 and has fibro and cfs but goes to college to do beauty course and is enrolled again for next year. All they had from me was a phone call to explain how she is effected and to ask if they would let her rest when she needs to or go home early if shes done her work and is gettin fatigued and all is well.
They even sugested they would cut her hours down if need be.

Definatly look into this. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Definitely get some advice for this as it just doesnt seem right as that sounds like discrimination
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FinkyDink » Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 pm

I've been a college lecturer and responsible for interviewing students for courses, and I've never seen someone be refused due to a disability. Unless its going to affect the course (exaggerated scenario is a blind person doing a make up course, but you get the idea), then they just can't do this.
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

College rejection

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to look into it. I'm so broke right now and I've got my atos interview next week and I've just had to go n have a job interview because I can't afford this ESA anymore, but it's going to affect my health... Life is going downhill faster than I can think straight.
Thanks everyone
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby isitme » Sat May 18, 2013 9:03 pm

I think as above 0 it depends what course you are wanting to do.

if it is a care course - then you may struggle.

I was in the middle of a nursing course and had to pack it in....health care ast/nurses work is so hard & physically demanding.

unless it is not the type of care I am imagining and am mistaken - but you may need to reassess what you plan to do but not be put off.

all the best anyway.
xx
isitme
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits