Help! What happens next?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help! What happens next?

Postby Purpledot » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi everyone

I'm after a little bit of advice.....hope you can help me.

I have now been signed off work for 6 months, and have been on SSP. This runs out at the beginning of June and I have no idea what happens after that.

Do I still need to get signed off by my GP?

Do I automatically get sent forms to fill in for the next step (I'm assuming this is ESA) or do I have to get hold of a form and apply?

Once my SSP stops does that mean I am no longer officially employed any more and can my employers just replace me?

I am worse now than when I first went off sick, so there is no hope of me returning to work in the forseeable future. I just have no idea what to do next.

Any help would be really gratefully received!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Re: Help! What happens next?

Postby cate2979 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Hiya,
Normally the department that pays ur wages send u out a letter telling u that they can no longer pay you, with the letter will be a form to claim ESA should u require more time off work. Fill this in and post off to the relevant office. You will then hear from ESA telling u u are on the Assessment part of ESA and u will receive this benefit for around 13 weeks at which time u will hav a medical. If you pass the medical u will be put on either the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group. I hope this helps :-)
cate2979
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun May 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Hope everything gets sorted out for you and you make the transition smoothly :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Purpledot » Sun May 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Many thanks for that.

My only concern is that I work in a Community Centre and we are just a small team of 2 full-time Managers and a handful of part-time staff members.

I really don't think they will have any idea about all this, so I'm not expecting to get the forms from them............or will they be sent them to hand to me as a matter of course?

Sorry for the awkward questions. I suppose I really need to speak to my Managers!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm

hi Purple,

I'll try to put my 2 pence of wisdom into the pot

I have now been signed off work for 6 months, and have been on SSP. This runs out at the beginning of June and I have no idea what happens after that.

[i]I can't remember how I got the form, think my employer did send a form and I filled it in;
it was about name address etc and then I sent it off to the address on the envelope.
as soon as "they" received this form, "they" sent out the "proper" form to be filled in and send back within a certain time.
after that and a few weeks later I got a letter stating that I am now in the "assessment phase"

you could try this link

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Do I still need to get signed off by my GP?
Job Centre Plus did send a text message (!) to tell me that I wouldn't need to send any more sick notes, I still did send in my sick notes

Do I automatically get sent forms to fill in for the next step (I'm assuming this is ESA) or do I have to get hold of a form and apply?

Once my SSP stops does that mean I am no longer officially employed any more and can my employers just replace me?

you will still be employed, neither did you end your contract, nor did your employer
as long as you don't hand in your notice you are employed and/or as long as your employer doesn't end your contract
you cannot be "replaced", the money they don't pay you or any money they have , they can use to employ someone temporary like they would do "maternity leave"

I am worse now than when I first went off sick, so there is no hope of me returning to work in the forseeable future. I just have no idea what to do next.

relaxing would be good, not easy, I know
stressing yourself makes you worse
this uncertanty really got to me when I was were you are now,
I learned over the following month that regardless if I let that situation get on top of me or not,
it doesn't change anything. it took me about 2 years to realise that all the worries were in vain

I am not saying your worries are not real or making you sick, contrary, I've been there too, all I try to say is that if possible, try to relax as much as possible
the craziness in those forms etc is , that we have to show how anwell we are and being therefore judges as looking only to the negative but advised to focus on getting better :crazy:

Any help would be really gratefully received![/i]
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits