Voluntary redundancy + benefits.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Voluntary redundancy + benefits.

Postby lolo73 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

My husband has been put onto notice at work, basically they need to get rid of a large number of staff and he is pretty certain that because of his position he will be made compulsory redundant. The other option he has is go for voluntary redundancy, it will get him an enhanced package equivalent to 5 months wages, he is concerned about me being so poorly and he thinks a month or two caring for me might get me back on my feet a bit.

My question is, if he takes voluntary redundancy would he be entitled to any benefits? We would have less than 16K in the bank (we understand the reduction of £1 for every £500 etc) and he has worked full time for 20+ yrs so has full contributions. I am only on assessment rate ESA, I had the interview and I expect the usual 0 points, presently I wouldn't be in the income related group, but that might change I guess if he stops work or would it, if he takes voluntary? Also according to entitled2 (or the likes) we would get mortgage help and council tax relief, is that something you can get with income related ESA?

Thanks for any advice, it is much appreciated, we really don't understand the benefits system at all x :crazy:
lolo73
UKFM Member

Re: Voluntary redundancy + benefits.

Postby denys » Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I really think your husband needs to speak to a benefits advisor to find out exactly what you would be able to claim for its a bit of a minefield and I would not like you to get the wrong advice as its such an important issue :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Thank you Denys, I know myself that it isn't straight forward, although a lot of people on here have HAD to study the in's and out's of the benefits system, so maybe someone will know x :-)
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Lindyloo2176 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi lolo73, the best place for you & your husband to go is the citizens advice centre, i was struggling with the benefits system & appeals. They have been really helpful, they filled forms out for me & they also wrote my appeal letters for me. I don't know what i would of done if they were not there, they have been brilliant. Good luck with everything & i hope you find the help you need. x :-) :goodluck1:
Lindyloo2176
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: lolo sadly its true some have had to learn a lot very quickly, I didnt have the right advice and feel that maybe if I had seen it coming and had a chance to get some then things may have been very different for me and I wouldnt want you to end up regretting anything down the line. I agree with lindyloo CAB are great if you can get an appointment in time.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: I'm sure you'll work everything out :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Thank you, I have looked up my local cab and will try and pop along, I appreciate any help and advice and Denys I know you are trying to ensure I get the best advice, I appreciate it x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 pm

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits