Money: anyone had to stop ESA and start work?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 am

Anyone had to stop ESA and start working due to lack of funds?

I've got my atos medical tomorrow but I've just been offered a 21 hr a week job. And I've taken it. I don't start until the 10th June and its a desk job, and it's 4 1/2 hrs a day/ 5 days a week. So short shifts. But how do I go about telling ESA about me starting work?
Obviously I'm still in the assessment phase and my sick line from doc runs out on the 5th?

Anyone got any advice how I go about my medical tomorrow and then telling ESA about work?

Many thanks
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Re: Money: anyone had to stop ESA and start work?

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu May 23, 2013 1:24 am

As you still have a sick line covering your absence from work I understand you don't officially need to tell them anything as yet. You have the offer of emplyment but have not started it as yet and its a long time until the 10th June so who knows what would/could /will happen.

If I was you I would wait and only contacted the ESA when you actually have a change in circumstances ie actuallys start employment.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Hellyn » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 am

Just my view....I went to see my disability advisor for advice. During the talk I told her that I was volunteering albeit one day a week,and her advice to me was not to tell the ATOS anything about my volunteering only to talk about my condition and how it effects me day to day. To be like it is my worst on the day of the assessment. It is not lying but presenting you as you really are.

We all like to be seen at our best but this can undermine the outcome. They need to see us as we really are. I have my assessment pending and plan to request a home visit when it happens as making it to the appointment can be interpreted as competent=0 points. When most days I would cancel if that day was one of those types of days. So why make the effort to shot myself in the foot and give them the reason to score me as fit.

I want esa so I can do limited work and see if I can, but with the support of the benefit incase I can't and avoid the reapplying crap and causing further financial stress and loss of security, which we know can make fibro worse.

Just keep stum for now about the work and remember your not working at the moment and not for some time yet...so keep it to yourself and wait the outcome and decided from there.

Best of luck.
Hellyn.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby debbie0499 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:00 am

Hi.

I agree what Hellyn says,totally.
wait till you get your joa. Dont say anything
until u start.,as DWP will use any info they can find,
to use in assessment,when giuing the DWP decision maker
advice on claim.
so i would wait a bit,till work confrimed,and u physically
start work.
and good luck,hope it works out. Hun.
X.x.x
debbie0499
UKFM Member

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

Ok thanks for all your words of advice!
It's a bad pain day for me and now I've got to go drop my daughter at her grans then head to this atos thing....
Wish me luck haha!
If it goes bad no doubt ill be on here venting laters :P :) xxx
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits