So confused about PIP

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So confused about PIP

Postby pkd1272 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello I have read through a lot of the posts on here but am so confused sorry. My friend is a Occupational Therapist and said I should apply for PIP but I cant work out if I would qualify. On a bad day I have to use crutches around the house and my husband does all the cooking, child care & house work. If we plan on days out I have to use crutches and sometimes a wheelchair as walking for more than 1 -2 hours means I'm in massive amounts of pain for days. This is permanent wether having a good or bad pain day.
On good days I manage to do the cooking using a stall as I cant stand for more than 10minutes without pain.

I'm scared that if I apply for PIP and have a good day and can walk without crutches that I would be done for fraud. I am so confused about wether to apply or not. Any help and advice would be great thank you. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
pkd1272
UKFM Member

Re: So confused about PIP

Postby clubsound4 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm

hi,you havegot nothing to lose applying for PIP they can only say no,,you have pain and you know you have it, you wont be done for fraud, we all have good days and bad days but the bad usually outnumber the good, you have difficulty doing a lot of things, I would apply good luck :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Somewhere on the forms like the DLA it should have a section were they ask you how many days a week do you need this care/how many days do you having walking difficaulties.
To help out make a diary of how you are and then you can answer the question as it varies for you
OR what you can do in the box is put *it varies* and explain what you have put here.

Always add and explain that even tho symptoms varie when you do attempt to walk (another other tasks) it causes symptoms to intensify (flare)

you could also explain that on a good day you still need aids to be able to do tasks like cooking (you use a stool as cannot stand more then 10mins)

You mention about husband doing child care/housework.... this is not included within the criterea. Its what support and help you need for being able to move around indoors and out whether it be a walking aid or pysical support / how many times you need to stop for rest / how much distance are you able to walk before discomfort and pain and needing rest. It also about needing help and support to safely be able to walk around also.
PIP only give you 20 metres for the higher rate of PIP

"as walking for more than 1 -2 hours means I'm in massive amounts of pain for days"

again 20 metres is the higher rate leval now not sure on the lower one as of yet.

The care component is what pyscical support and help you need with your hygeine (washing/bathing/putting on clothes etc) and then the preparing a cooked meal. The meals only give you a low award.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm

clubsound4 wrote:you have difficulty doing a lot of things

I would also ike to add that its not about what difficaulty you have doing things its what aids/adaptions/help/support and assistance needed for your care and mobility needs.

For example:

I have difficaulty chopping vegtables to preapre a meal it causes intense pain.

They will see you are able to do this even tho it causes pain and you had no one to help you.

Answer: I have difficaulty chopping up vegtables to prepare a main meal as it causes the pain in my arms to intensify so as i am unable to do this task without severe pain and i am in need of someone to do this for me/help me OR i have (name of gadget) that i use to be able to chop the vegtables as i cannot do this task without it from the pain.

I hope this helps. The forms are so confusing, they make it complicated so just shout if you need any further advice :-)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby macca » Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 pm

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Without question apply for it.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits