DLA Renewal...

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA Renewal...

Postby darkcyde » Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am

Hi all

Just a quick note to let you know that I've been successful in my DLA renewal.....it's been renewed at the same rate (High Rate Mobility, Medium Rate Care) for another 2 years.

This surprised me as I was expecting a) to have to fight for it again, and b)a short term renewal at best due to PIPs being introduced, but they didn't even want a new medical performed.

What I had been doing is writing them updates every few months, particularly if my GP altered my medications. This may well have been a deciding factor on their behalf, so I would recommend this approach to others.

DarkCyde
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Re: DLA Renewal...

Postby fibro-lu » Fri May 31, 2013 11:03 am

hi DarkCyde,

that's great news for you
and good advise for all
thank you
:-D
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby babajane32 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

So pleased for you, mine to has just been renewed for 2 years as the existing awarded rates....I did include lost of documentation prescriptions etc, they took 5 days from receipt of form to post out a decision! I was astounded,but massively relived...now if I can just get them to make a decision on ESA after nearly 1 year....and perhaps pay me something! Lol, somehow don't think esa is going to be quite so smooth!
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 pm

I am writing not regarding a DLA Renewal but what I need to do next?
I am trying to move home as my partner and I live in three bed house and there's only the both of us now so downsizing seems a sensible idea now the bedroom tax rule has come in.
I have osteoarthritis of the spine and fibromyalgia, depression and anxiety. My partner claims esa for his depression and anxeity and it is a joint claim. He is currently in the work activity group.
As I experience difficulties in our current accomodation we are hopefully exchanging to a 2 bedroom bungalow. I had a home visit from social services, ocupational therapist and she has arranged for me to have a bed rail, a reclining bath lift and a rail by the WC.
She sent me a copy of the letter she has sent to my landlord requesting for the hand rail, it mentions that I am registrable as disabled under the cronically sick and disabled act 1972. there is a registration on the letter too.
Does this mean I am intilted to put in a claim for DLA?
Thank you for reading.
TracyDiane :-)
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Fri May 31, 2013 5:54 pm

There are no prerequisites for applying for DLA, except that you must have a disability. They will assess you and decide a) if you are eligble for DLA and b) how much. you dont need to have any other benefits in order to apply and you can also work and receive dla
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi and :welcome: TracyDiane

I am not applying for DLA, nor have in the past but maybe those 2 links will give you some information

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inform ... bility.htm

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-livin ... ligibility

other users might be able to throw in some personal advise
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby darkcyde » Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 pm

DLA is also what is known as a 'stepping stone' benefit....this means receiving DLA opens up other benefits to you. For example, if you receive Housing Benefit, then you can have an additional sum added to your income allowance before deductions are made from your overall award.
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Thank you so much everyone for the information you have mentioned. that has been a great help :-D
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I wonder if I put in claim for this if it will stop our ESA my partner claims for us both, perhaps i will have to leave this until after we move home as we are doing a mutual exchange from a three bed house to a two bed bungalow which has adaptions i require. :-)
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:35 pm

No, DLA is not means tested, nor is it considered as income with regards to other benefits....its meant to help with day to day additional costs of living with a disability. It wont effect ESA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, etc, etc
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Well done on that, I also have to agree that information is everything.

One key thing that I learned through my wife's fight last year was assume DWP know nothing about the claimant and tell them absolutely everything no matter how trivial you think it is. My wife had been in receipt of Incapacity Benefit from 2003 and was assessed for ESA in 2011, part of us thought " well you've been well aware of the problems she has for the last 8 years under IB, and in fact even longer than that as she had been in receipt of DLA since around 1990" ... big mistake.

The DWP are very unlikely to go digging into a claimant's previous claims history/benefit award. The burden of proof that a claimant is entitled to any benefit claimed rests solely with the claimant. If there's any scrap of information that you feel is relevant to your claim, even if you think they already have the information, put it on the claim form, that way there's no chance that it can't be considered.

A simple example from our fight of last year is that my wife was prescribed a course of physiotherapy but due to mobilising issues was not well enough to attend some of the sessions despite me being able to take here there and bring her back in the car. Therefore a number of sessions had to be cancelled and re-arranged. So essentially this was one effect that ill health and so mobilising difficulty had on her everyday life, therefore to me it was essential that DWP were made aware of this. If they hadn't been made aware of it then they couldn't consider it alongside a raft of medical information.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Well done :-D

I have just sent my renewal forms off and another tip is the additional information question.

I have used this space to explain what i use the DLA moneys on and what moneys i need for help with my care and mobility. For example i have to pay privatly for physiotherapy monthly and have so for up to 10 years and explained that the NHS does not/cannot fund the course of treatment needed for my disabilities. I also have paid for my own mental health therapies as again no funding on NHS. Then i put if i was unable to pay for my therapies my health would deteriorate.

I have also explained how the disabilities have effected my family life as i can no longer care for my children so there dad is main carer and they live with him

It all adds to the forms
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits