Atos medical assesment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Atos medical assesment

Postby ouchiemama » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 pm

:yikes: :yikes: okay so I have got my first assesment in a couple of weeks & am panicking so much as all I read are bad things & I am stressed!

I am newly diagnosed, but been on esa for past few months while waiting to get confirmed by rheumy doc & being treated by doc during this time.

I am on 2 co codamol 30/500 4 x a day, ibrufen 4x day, 50g amitriptyline & 100g sertraline, fibro is confirmed, also anxiety, panic attacks, ibs, rls & tension headaches!

I am so scared about this, I dont know what to expect & I usualy put on a face when I venture out but I dont want to do that there as they will think there is nowt wrong! I am in pain 24/7, shoulders, back, legs, feet, shooting pains in hands & fingers etc,totaly exhausted with zero energy or motivation! But I can get dressed, tidy house etc & look after 3 kids but it hurts to do all that, hurts to walk but I can walk...Im rambling a bit, I dont really even know what I am asking here :crazy: lol.

Any advice I suppose about what they are going to ask & do...

Thank you for any replies! xxx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Re: Atos medical assesment

Postby linda3719 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi - I had to go for my medical last may - well what a to do. Ask your doctor for a medical report (are you getting sick notes?).

I took my daughter with me as i did not want to go alone - like you say stress levels and panic attacks i was in a right state. I have
had medical sick notes for 2 years, but the atos people did not agree, as a result i am appealing, and waiting for a date for tribunal.

End of the day, I think you need as much evidence as you can get together - have you thought of asking occupational health for some help? they may be able to suggest ways to make life that be easier for you. Good luck with your medical - I hope it goes well x x
linda3719
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Linda

I had mine 2 weeks ago and asked for a copy of the esa85 the day after so it gives you time to look through it and start the disagreement

The nurse I saw was Kind and understanding at the medical but when I got the copy of esa85 she has twisted everything to there advantage

All I can say is be careful on how you act and what you say because they will use parts of it to prove you are fit for work,
Remember all what you do and say.

As a example I held my left side with my left arm all through the medical because of cramps

But all she said was can bend left elbow with no difficulty not a mention on the pain and cramps in the left side everything I said she twisted and is not the truth

Just take your time tell the truth and remember everything so you can put your case forward if you think they give you the wrong decision

They will note all you say so don't just yes no maybe say no I cannot do that or yes it hurts all the time
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby mumstheword1954 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm

I failed both, my ESA and DLA. this is what I would do differently. Don't go alone, but don,t take any children. Don't drive yourself to the assessment. If they ask you if you drive a manual car say you drive an automatic. FMS is not a notifiable condition for either the DVLA or your insurance company. Don't say you can do housework, think your worst day ever and I mean your worst day. ask for help when getting out of the chair and also for getting on or off the exam couch you MUST ask for help. Ask straight up if the assessor has been specifically trained in Rheumatology, if they haven't make the point that then they cannot make a fair judgement of your condition without that training. Take someone with you who can take notes and for them to write everything down. You can ask for a recording of the assessment and apparently they get quite frightened by this. You can record on a smart phone if it has a SD card.They will only go through your original form and will ask just a few questions, you need to plug away with lots more about our condition. If you don't feel well enough to go then don't go, find out where the assessment is , if you have to walk more than 100 yds then tell them sorry but you can't and they must re-arrange and visit you at home. I hope you successful, I didn't have anyone to help me and went in blind so to speak and lost all my benefit so I hope this helps. x
mumstheword1954
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 pm

I agree with taking someone with you to take notes and just be other ears. We tend to forget what was said or what to ask when under stress. I also agree with telling of everything that is an issue for you. I don't agree with telling someone who is making a decision something that is not entirely true. To say you need help getting up from a chair or couch would easily be caught as a lie if in fact not true. The same with the ability to walk. I have sat through many hearings and heard such comments and the person getting caught by getting up in a natural way. Also things like saying they can't walk far but crossed the parking lot to get to the building.
I feel being totally honest on your abilities will benefit you in the end. These people who are making decisions have seen and heard it all and you can't get anything by them. If you genuinely need whatever you are applying for tell the truth. One lie could ruin it. You may have to wait a bit longer but telling it as it is works
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby anonymouse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 am

Don't worry about the assessment, it will be fine, the disappointing thing is likely to be the result.

My advice is :

1)Read up on the Descriptors on the ESA Regulations, work out what you believe you are entitled to with the specifics of your own condition and that will help you answer more effectively with the questions your asked.
2)Take someone with you.
3)Remember they assess you from "how you get there" until you leave the building, rather than when you go into the assessment room until you exit the assessment room. How long you sit for and how still you are will be assessed in the waiting room and during the assessment itself, even things like taking your coat off will be noted.
4)If its going to be a bad result there isn't much you can do about it, so don't worry, most will have made their minds up by the time you sit down and will make the report fit their opinion.
5)If they ask you to do something that causes you pain, don't just do it out of politeness. Tell them about the pain, consider not doing the action because of the pain.
6)Emphasise that just because you can do something once doesn't mean you can do it repeatedly (Good luck with that one)
7)If you have taken extra medication because of the assessment then tell them, and stress that this isn't representative of a normal day because you have taken more medication.

Hope that helps, I haven't had time to read the other replies before writing so apologies about any duplication.

Anonymouse
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 am

Oh and remember most people (very educated guess) with Fibro get turned down after assessment but a huge proportion go onto win an appeal or Tribunal. A bad assessment isn't the end, its just the beginning..... Of more work lol

x
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you very much for all replies!

I will try & stop panicking about it & will go in & be completely honest, I do want to work but am unsure of what I will be able to cope with & at the moment I really dont think I am capable!

I am in so much pain all the time & its early days so still trying out meds to see what helps the most!

Am also very stressed as my dad has been battling cancer the past 6 months - 2 ops & now at the start of 6 weeks radiotherapy so this is also affecting me :(

Thanks again for your advice. xx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm

You will do ok. Sometimes things take a bit longer than we think but the reward is worth the wait.

I can relate to the stress you are going through. Cancer is one illness that leaves us all questioning every little thing. I hope your Dad has good results from his treatments. X
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits