Carers allowance

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Carers allowance

Postby MichelleJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Just want to check that I'm right here. If I pay my carer for 7 hours a week, she can still claim carers allowance for me for a further 35 hours or more unpaid each week can't she (obviously she'll come in under the earnings bracket for carers allowance.my benefits advisor said as long as under the £100 and can find nothing online or in the application form notes to suggest otherwise.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Re: Carers allowance

Postby fruity72 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

maybe this will help

Who can get Carer’s Allowance

You can get Carer’s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and you are not in full time education. There is no upper age limit. You must spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person who gets a benefit for the extra costs of disability. The benefits for the extra costs of disability are Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, the middle or higher rate for personal care of Disability Living Allowance, the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (either rate)or Armed Forces Independence Payment. You must not earn more than £100 a week after deductions such as tax and national insurance.

In some cases, you may meet the conditions for both Carer's Allowance and another benefit, such as Retirement Pension or contributory Employment And Support Allowance.

If your Carer's Allowance is either the same as or less than the other benefit, you will get the other benefit rather than Carer's Allowance.

However, if the other benefit is less than your Carer's Allowance, you will get the other benefit and the balance of your Carer's Allowance on top.

The rules about this are complicated and you may need to get advice.

If in doubt, you should always make a claim for Carer's Allowance as this might also allow you to get extra amounts in other benefits such as the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit, Housing Benefit.

Always check with the person you are caring for before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance as they may lose some of the benefit they get, such as a severe disability addition, if you make a claim.

You do not have to have paid any national insurance contributions to get carer’s allowance.

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you and the person you are caring for move to another EEA member state or Switzerland or if you’re already living in one of these countries.
fruity72
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks fruity 72. There's nothing I this tat says I. Can't and I manage to find a thread on line from social workers saying its fine provided the 35 hr unpaid element is met which it will be.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby fruity72 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 pm

If your carer is claiming carers allowance you shouldn't have to pay her more money, thats the point of carers allowance. She can claim a top up of income support which will take her carers allowance to just over £104 a week and then she can earn up to £100 a week on top of this if she wants too bit not by you paying her. That's the bit of your post I don't understand in your post is why you pay her for 7 hours!!!
fruity72
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Shes my paid carer. Or will be. Shes my carer through the agency at the min. So shes going to be doing the hrs social services fund me for as her job which is the 7 hrs i mentioned. But shes also going to be doing a further 35 hrs unpaid for which she will claim carers allowance.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby fruity72 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 pm

the funding for the 7 hours may stop as they don't normally pay twice for a carer. If you live alone you will lose money as well when she applies for carers allowance. She can only get carers allowance if you are on middle rate care DLA or higher. Just be aware of your own monetary loss though
fruity72
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't live alone so not on income benefits so that's ok. They won't be paying twice though as she will do 35 hrs on top of the 7 hrs. If it does effect it we'll have to find another way round. Hubby could poss have claimed it too and if it doesn't work out we'll have to do that. But my benefits advisor has said it should be ok and found a social worker post saying they often recommend doing it like that. But the funding is social services and they agreed I need it for specific things. My dla is higher care so they recognise I need 24 hr supervision and care
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I just found a direct payments fact sheet from a county council. In it is a sentence saying its worth remembering that p.a s paid paid through the direct payment scheme may be entitled to carers allowance. So if the criteria are met which in my case they are then its ok by the looks. This is bang up to date too. So just wait for them to sort it now.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits