Incapacity benefit

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Incapacity benefit

Postby blitzen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi, I was put on Incapacity benefit due to my fibro, as far as I'm aware most people claiming Incapacity have been switched over to ESA, my daughter was, I still haven't been and don't know why. This is causing me problems at the moment as I am moving home and because I'm on incapacity I can't get any help such as moving costs or a loan, people on ESA can, I also have to pay for my prescriptions, glasses, dentist ect, I don't understand the reasoning behind this as Incapacity and ESA are the same amounts of money, could anyone explain please.
blitzen
UKFM Newbie

Re: Incapacity benefit

Postby Treece » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 pm

if you are getting council tax benefit or housing benefit you can claim free dental etc.. however there is a form you can fill in for low income... and you will get reduction in costs for the time being ... not everyone on incapacity have been awarded ESA ... they will get to you eventually...
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:59 pm

The migration process from IB to ESA started in October 2010 and will be continuing until Spring 2014 this linky tells you more about it http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/i ... t-process/ If you're wanting to know about when you will be transferred then you'll need to speak to the office covering your area to see if they can give you an idea of when you might be sent the forms.

IB and ESA are paid either as Income based or Contribution based. For those who qualify for Income based, they also receive help towards the costs of things like prescription charges, dental fees, optician costs etc, whereas those of us on Contribution based have to pay for such things.

If you feel you should qualify for help with NHS charges, this linky might be a helpful place to start http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx And if you feel you should qualify for Income based benefits, again you'll need to speak to the office that covers where you live.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby blitzen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Ok, thanks for both replies, I shouldn't have to wait too long for the switch over then.
blitzen
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kyomii » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm

The thing is, if you are on contribution based incapacity, you will be moved to contribution based ESA and still have to pay for things like dentist etc....so nothing will change.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby djgs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 pm

you can ask for an HC2 exemption certificate if your still getting incapacity benefit
It covers all nhs costs prescriptions, dental treatment etc
djgs
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:26 am

I'm still on incapacity benefit and because I'm in one of the first places to introduce PIP and my DLA is coming up for renewal have been told it will all happen together :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: so this could be a contributory factor too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits