[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hope for ESA!

Hope for ESA!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Here's the story!
I'm 23, i have Fibro and arthritis in my spine, got diagnosis in May 2013.

I've been handing in medical notes from doctors as I've been too ill to work.

Had my atos medical assessment about 3-4 weeks ago, and I have just recieved a letter today saying I'm in the work related assessment group! Can't believe I didn't have to appeal. The medical I had with atos was brilliant, one nurse on her own and she was really understanding and supportive. I told her everything and told her how yes I can walk and do things everyday because I HAVE to, I'm only 23 with a 2year old daughter so i can't lay down to the pain I have to get on and cope but it is difficult.

Anyone have any more info on the work related group for ESA as I'm kinda clueless!!!

So happy I don't have to appeal!
There is hope out there!
Woo!
:) :) :) :)
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Re: Hope for ESA!

Postby Janet Poole » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi honey. . I don't mean to burst your bubble but if your in the work related group you technically haven't really got what you want you need to be the support group so you really do need to appeal as you only get wrag for 365 days then your money stops. . Get some advice either from your job centre plus or citizen's advice. . But DO appeal. . I did as I was put in the wrag group and I have been successfully moved to the Russert group. .best of luck :goodluck2:
Janet Poole
UKFM Member

Postby Janet Poole » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Sorry meant support group not Russert lol x
Janet Poole
UKFM Member

Postby Kyomii » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Her money will only stop if she is on contribution based ESA. If she is on income based, it will continue until the outcome of her next assessment.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Ah right ok. So I can appeal that I'm in the work related group and I need to be in the support group?
I was just shocked I got a decision instead of a no! Haha!
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:49 pm

If I got into the wrag group straight after the medical, does anyone think I have a chance of getting the support group?

I really can't cope with the stress of these appeals and having to tell them how bad I am, yet they see me as a 23 yr old so think I'm going to be not as ill as I am.

Sorry for ranting, makes me feel better lol! :) :)
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby Janet Poole » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 pm

If your on contribution based esa like me you will have to appeal its not as bad as it seems . . If you can get letter to send them off your doctor to say you are suffering what you say you are that will help. . I would give your job centre plus a call to see what your on they will help you appeal . . Xx
Janet Poole
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Bex, with you being placed in WRAG, it means that whilst they acknowledge you have problems due to your illnesses/conditions, DWP also believe that with the right kind of help and support you should be able to do some form of work. For some, this decision is fine and can put them in a position where they can train/learn new skills to enable them to start taking steps towards employment at some point in the future. For others tho, working just isn't possible with how they are affected, so being placed in WRAG isn't the best decision for them. These are the ones who need and tend to appeal the original decision, and if successful, will be moved into the Support Group.

The letter you have received advising you about being placed in WRAG should also tell you which type of ESA you will be receiving. If you meet the criteria and have been awarded Income Based ESA, you will continue to receive this until your next assessment is due. If you have been awarded Contribution Based ESA tho, this is only paid for a maximum of 365 days. In the Support Group, the 365 day time limit doesn't apply to those on ESA(c), it is paid until the next assessment is due.

Being in WRAG means you have to attend a number of Work Focused Interviews with an adviser where you will discuss what your options are based on how you are being affected by your condition, problems etc.

If you decide to appeal the decision, you need to let DWP know within something like 30 days of the date they have advised you of your fate. To do this, there is a form that can be completed (GL24 I think :-? :-? :-? ) or you can write a letter advising them what you are intending to do.

For an appeal, you need to provide evidence to support why you believe you should be placed in the Support Group. This evidence needs to show that you meet certain descriptors required to qualify for Support Group. This linky has some info about them http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employ ... port-group maybe have a bit of a looky and see which ones may be applicable to you.

It's not easy for us to say if you have a chance of getting into the Support Group, unfortunately that lies with the decision maker at DWP who is given your appeal, which is why getting help is what we usually suggest. It can be tricky to get everything down in the right way to meet the relevant descriptors, so having help from someone familiar with the system and who knows the best way to phrase things can make a real difference.

Whilst waiting for an appeal to be heard tends to be long~winded, frustrating and stressful, there are a number that don't need to go all the way thru the process. When an appeal is submitted now, due to recent changes, it will first go for reconsideration. This is where another decision maker will look at your claim to see if the decision can be changed in your favour. If it can be changed, then they will let you know and the necessary changes to your status will be made and that will be the end of it. If it can't be changed tho, they will also advise you and your appeal should then enter the next stage of the process.

Only you really know just how you feel and what you are capable of, so this is what you need to base your decision on about what to do next.

There is a lot more detailed info about the process on the DWP, Benefits and Working board, so you could have a look at things others have said and experienced about going thru it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 pm

FluffyPuppy! Thank you for that reply! Really made me understand! So i have income based ESA.... What does that mean again? Sorry bit blah tonight haha!
And I am going to appeal.
Being in WRAG does that mean I still have to had in sick notes from my doctor or not?? Thanks xxx
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Well I have started the ball rolling to get into the support group!
Fingers crossed.

Spoke to the ESA people today and he said that I have to attend a few appointments at the job centre and that I've been awarded the income related ESA wrag for 18months before review.

So let the appeal begin for support group.
And he told me even if the appeal is unsuccessful I still get my money for 18 months in the wrag part.

:) x
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Income based means the money continues rather than stopping at the 365 day mark so u do at least have money coming in. Re sick notes, u don't need these now u have a decision.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Hope for ESA!

Postby Bexbexbex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

Brilliant! Thanks

Going to go in and get a GL24 form, and try and get onto the support group.

Thanks for all your replies :) x
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits