having to give up work, esa & jobseekers

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

having to give up work, esa & jobseekers

Postby leigh73 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I went to see my lone parent advisor today to explain how my condition is affecting my job & that I need to give it up ( I drive for a job). He agreed for me to give my job up & claim Esa which I would be entitled to claim as i'm leaving my job on health grounds. I was told I can stay on Esa & still look for an alternative job. After a certain amount of time I would have to have a medical by someone the job centre bring in as to see if i'm fit for work then move back to job seekers. I asked if he actually knew what fibro was & he said no. So I have to give up my job for safety, just not looking forward to the signing on again to be spoken to like i'm lazy & don't want to work because there's not much i'm capable of doing & they don't understand the condition. I also have hypermobility of the spine & shortened tendons in my right shoulder that are easily aggravated causing my trapezious muscle to swell cause me even more pain!! Has anyone been on esa then moved to job seekers?
leigh73
UKFM Member

Re: having to give up work, esa & jobseekers

Postby no1phil » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 pm

I have been on ESA and then had to move onto JSA after failing the appeal process. Although after the tribunal fail i went to JSA while appealing the tribunal. So when i signed on JSA i made sure i was put it the bare minimum you need for JSA and the limits of working hours etc my health restricts me to, i was lucky to get some understanding advisor's take my JSA claim. Although not once in all the times i asked during my appeals on ESA did anybody describe what 'limited capacity for work' actually ment. They recognise i have a disability defined by the disability act which in my understanding contradicts me failing having 'limited capacity for work' I have fybro, I.B.S, Thyrotoxicosis amongst other things.

I get the feeling your lone parent advisor really doesn't know the way the system really works when leaving jobs etc to claim ESA then JSA so tread carefully. Just be very careful when you need to claim JSA when the idiots at ATOS fabricate everything and fail your work capability assessment - remember this is in no way a medical. So them telling you it's a medical is so very wrong. There will be plenty of other posts in this forum that may help you out too :) Good luck with everything and hopefully you can find a suitable job.
no1phil
UKFM Member

Postby bianca1975 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 am

I had to finally give up work after I broke down at work one day and my Wife had to come a pick me up. It wasn't the first time this had happened as I have had Mental Health issues for over 20 years (I am a survivor of childhood abuse). Following this I claimed ESA from 2009 onwards. When the new 365 day ruling came in I received a letter to say that my benefit would end at the end of April 2011. I enquired about this and was told that I was no longer eligible for any benefits as my Wife worked 4 hours a week too many and that my N.I. contributions had run out. I am registered as disabled (for now) and receive £84 per month. This is for my Care element and my Mobility money pays for a Motability car each month, which we rely on heavily. So now we are having to survive on my Wife's part-time wage. We get H.Benefit, C.Tax Benefit and Tax Credits but I feel worthless as I don't bring any money into the house and am unable to go to work due to mental health and Fibro/CFS. I am currently thinking that I am going to have to go back to work in order for us to survive. We also have our youngest Daughter living with us, who turns 18 next June (2014) so any help that we get for her may stop.
ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE GUYS?????????xx :evil: :cry: :crazy: :yikes:
bianca1975
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 am

bianca1975 wrote:I had to finally give up work after I broke down at work one day and my Wife had to come a pick me up. It wasn't the first time this had happened as I have had Mental Health issues for over 20 years (I am a survivor of childhood abuse). Following this I claimed ESA from 2009 onwards. When the new 365 day ruling came in I received a letter to say that my benefit would end at the end of April 2011. I enquired about this and was told that I was no longer eligible for any benefits as my Wife worked 4 hours a week too many and that my N.I. contributions had run out. I am registered as disabled (for now) and receive £84 per month. This is for my Care element and my Mobility money pays for a Motability car each month, which we rely on heavily. So now we are having to survive on my Wife's part-time wage. We get H.Benefit, C.Tax Benefit and Tax Credits but I feel worthless as I don't bring any money into the house and am unable to go to work due to mental health and Fibro/CFS. I am currently thinking that I am going to have to go back to work in order for us to survive. We also have our youngest Daughter living with us, who turns 18 next June (2014) so any help that we get for her may stop.
ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE GUYS?????????xx :evil: :cry: :crazy: :yikes:

From reading your post, if you're receivng HB, DLA care +mob, child tax credits and child benefit , you seem to be inreceipt of most of the range of means tested beenfits available with the exception of council tax allowance which you should apply for if not already in payment. Assume as you're not eligible for means tested tested ESA then your wife earns more than £100 per week so can't claim Carers Allowance.

Child benefit and child tax credits can continue until a child is 20. Depends on what level of education your daughter stays in. (as someone of an age to have been able to leave school aged 15 to start work, it always seems strange to call someone a child aged 18 to 20)

From what you've said it looks like the only option is for your wife to work more hours , or keep your ESA claim opne and at your next assessment try to get put into the Support Group when ESA payments will recommence.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:17 am

leigh73 wrote:I went to see my lone parent advisor today to explain how my condition is affecting my job & that I need to give it up ( I drive for a job). He agreed for me to give my job up & claim Esa which I would be entitled to claim as i'm leaving my job on health grounds. I was told I can stay on Esa & still look for an alternative job. After a certain amount of time I would have to have a medical by someone the job centre bring in as to see if i'm fit for work then move back to job seekers. I asked if he actually knew what fibro was & he said no. So I have to give up my job for safety, just not looking forward to the signing on again to be spoken to like i'm lazy & don't want to work because there's not much i'm capable of doing & they don't understand the condition. I also have hypermobility of the spine & shortened tendons in my right shoulder that are easily aggravated causing my trapezious muscle to swell cause me even more pain!! Has anyone been on esa then moved to job seekers?

Best to get advice from CAB or equivalent before doing this. Although you aren't fit for your current job, the ESA assessment is quite tough and is looking at whether you're capable of doing any other work, which could be in an office , at a check out etc etc. and even if the perosn is only capable of doing 16 hours per week.

You should take a look at the ESA descriptors and see if any apply to you, as this is what people are evaluated against.

However if you need a short break , you can apply for ESA and it will take 13 weeks approx before you are assessed. So applying might give you some breathing space to find something more suitable. To be honest relying on any form of benefit in these times can be very stressful as rules and regulations are constantly being changed to reduce amounts paid and numbers eligible.

If possible would advise staying in any type of work for as long as possible, as it's likley things will get even tougher in the next few years no matter which party is in. Obviously if you've no other choice then of course you must claim , but make sure you're clued up on ESA descriptors, what the assessment entails, and have as much medical supporting evidence as you can get. Wish you well.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits