A little bit of advice, please!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A little bit of advice, please!

Postby Purpledot » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

I wonder if anyone can advise me.........

I haven't been able to work since last November, and was led to believe by my employers that they were paying me SSP from the start. However, it now turns out that they were paying me a reduced wage equal to the amount of SSP. This is because they are too small of a concern to be able to claim back the SSP.

I have a meeting scheduled with my Managers next week, and I'm pretty sure they are going to say they need to get rid of me in order to be able to replace me as they are struggling without me (it is only a very small concern and taking one employee out of the picture puts a huge strain on the rest of the staff). I really don't want them to struggle any more than they have to, and don't want them to have to lose so much money through having to pay me SSP. However, I do have to think about myself as well, so it's a bit of a dilemma.

My question is: can they get rid of me before they have paid me the 28 weeks SSP? If they do, will this effect me being able to get ESA, or will the govt just pay me the 28 weeks of SSP before me having to go on ESA?? If they govt find out they haven't paid me SSP will they get into trouble?

Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Re: A little bit of advice, please!

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 pm

May be its me but am a bit confused purple dot, I thought everyone had to pay national insurance so that when they were ill they could claim SSP either directly from thier employer or if not working at the time from the government.

May be things have changed but when my children were small and I was still working I had a girl come into the house to look after them in the afternoons after school & nursery as it was cheaper than day nursery.
I had to keep the books for the tax man re tax & national insurance and put in returns on a quarterly basis rather than yearly as it was a special scheme for places that employed less than 5 employees. When she was sick I could claim part of the SSP amount back from the tax man the rest of her pay I made up myself.

I have to say your desciption of things relating to SSP etc seems slightly odd to me given my experience .

From your thread it seems your employer doesn't claim anything re your SSP and just pays you out of his own pocket (nice employer). IF thats the case I would imagine there is nothing compelling him to keep you on the books longer than he wants (he could ask you to leave work before the (28 wks) when SSP would normally run out)
As for grounds of dismisal I guess they could do what my soon to be ex employer would do and say that while they understand you are genuinely sick while you are off you are inefficient and causing difficulties for other staff.

Not totally sure about benefits but think if you have paid enough NI in the year proceeding your ESA claim then you get a contribution based benefit. If not then it it means tested .

I think you might be better to talk to someone more aware of SSP /national insurance & benefits to get a complete answer. Ihope it work sin your favour

Good luck
ISm
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: A little bit of advice, please!

Postby denys » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:23 pm

As ISM says I think you need to go and get some proper advice, so dont agree to anything till you have checked it all out :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits