Scared as hell about loosing my part time job

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Scared as hell about loosing my part time job

Postby plumbchick » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:35 am

Hello everybody :)

I have been worrying and fretting for months now and wanted to see if anyone could offer any advice. I am a full time mature student. I have been working for the same company for six years now and in September went part time to start my degree. I have been off work since March now because I was hospitalised when I lost the feeling in my lower limbs and had unbearable back pain. Finally got a proper diagnosis on my spine and it is Degenerative Disc Disease with three herniated discs, adding this to my Fibromyalgia equals a whole lot of pain which has prevented me from working.

It is now coming to a point where my employer has called in a private medical company who wrote a rather impersonal report rendering me pretty much useless in terms of recovery time. I am now so terribly scared about being told I am not fit for my job role and my contract terminated. I am dealing with the pain a little easier now and mobility has improved. I have enquired as to whether a workplace adaptation can be made with the use of a proper office chair that reaches a counter level, enabling me to perform the customer facing side of the role.

What worries me is that they are going to tell me because I can not do the warehouse side of the job and therefore will fire me.

I just got my exam results and that was a huge relief to pass this year despite everything ..... but this matter is eating away at me and making flare ups unbearable.....If anyone can offer any advice I would be so very grateful......

Advanced Thanks and Warm wishes for a pain free day ;-) PlumbChick
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Re: Scared as hell about loosing my part time job

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 pm

hi and welcome

just a quick note to check out for you:
- you might be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, depending on the size/man power it might be possible too, maybe not in a small company where "all do all"
- join a union, let him/her fight for you too

sorry head not working :crazy:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 am

Ok seems there is lots to go through before your company can just get rid of you , you do have some rights as a disabled person.

Your employer should be in discussion first about "reasonable adjustments" Changes to your working conditions that allow you to remain in the work place. Your idea about suitable chair that facilitates you to be more customer oriantated is a good example.
There could be other suggestions as well . All this can be quite daunting for both you and local management if there is a work place union I would join if you haven't already done so , ask then into any meetings and also try and see about local disabiity advice centres

its easier said than done but try not to worry to much , hopefully you and your employer can see that to utilse someone with 6 years work experience on a P/T bsis makes more sense than bringing in someone totally new

Good luck hope things health wise keep improving
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby migrembe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:39 am

I willing gave up my job as a staff nurse as it became very apparent to me that i would never be well enough to return to my job. Although i was protected by the Disability Act and my employer did try me in a calmer environment in the end it was a mutual agreement that i leave. They weren't paying me any more so my money had already gone done to just benefit allowance. The problem is we push ourselves and then complain we are in too much pain to cope. I now have ESA support and DLA payments and no Dear anything to help financially. Its hard but there is nothing i can do about it. I am now more stable then back then but i struggle every day to get and just get dressed.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:57 am

It really is a difficult situation for both sides, I'm afraid my situation was such that they made me redundant as I had been off 6 months didnt have a proper diagnosis and like you was written off by the independent medical practitioner they hired. My firm was a medium sized place so could have made adjustments but they were being bought out so it was easier to just get rid of me :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

If you are still able to manage the customer face part maybe that will help you but dont forget sitting constantly will have a detrimental effect on your back and on your fibro anyway good luck and I hope things work out the way you want them too :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby plumbchick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you Everybody for your help and advice.....

I joined USDAW the union and have a Welfare Capability Meeting tomorrow afternoon. I am not as nervous as I was when I posted. I have come to terms with potentially loosing my job on health grounds. I am very lucky to have a positive and supportive partner who has put the whole situation in perspective for me, my health is the important factor here not the money. Money can't buy me a miracle cure and it is not worth loosing sleep over.....Can't thank you all enough for giving me your time and support......

Wishing you all the very best wishes

Plumbchick X :-)
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Good luck for tomorrow Plumbchick. Well done for joining the UNion and getting them on your side
Please do try not to go in thinking you will lose your job, Instead think of it as a reassessment of your skills and where they can best utilise them . You never know if you manage to find a new working environment things might just improve.

I often find stressful situation can make me go into mini flares for a few days, so if you are under a lot of stress in work worrying about your job it is bound to have a knock on effect . If you get reassessed and new work found for you ,some of that stress might ease and you will cope better .

Take care adn let us knwo how you get on
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Purpledot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

Good luck Plumbchick.....hope you manage to sort something out that suits you.

I am in a similar position at the moment.......part time job, haven't been able to work since November. I work for a very small company who are a registered charity, so funds are very limited. They have told me they cannot legally 'get rid of me' for 3 years, during which time they are obliged to pay be SSP for 28 week blocks, with 8 week breaks in between each block. They know they have to do this by law, but they say they cannot afford to keep paying me the SSP and employ a replacement for me.

I feel really bad as they are a very small concern, and having one person out of the picture for this long has put a lot of strain on the rest of the staff.

However, I have been advised that under no circumstances should I hand my notice in, as this would mean I have then rendered myself voluntarily unemployed and would mean I would be unable to claim ESA etc.

Having read this thread, however, I am wondering if they can get rid of me before the 3 years is up. If anyone knows anything about this I would be really grateful for any information. It really would be the best thing all round if they could dimiss me on grounds of ill health, as they would then be able to replace me and I would, presumably, be able to go straight on to ESA???

They did suggest that perhaps I could try and go for early retirement due to ill health (I'm 48!), but I think they have to have an appropriate pension scheme in place to cover this, and they don't have a pension scheme!

It's all so confusing!
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Purpledot.......It would all depend on you T&C's of contract re I'll health retirement. Try and ask the main HR person.to get a copy if you don't have it.
I was off 12 months end May.Work started inefficiency proceeding which then changed IHR. Found eligible but not that easy lots of doc assessments,consultant letters etc. In went back to consultant who DX me to ask for prognosis.Now on period of notice. Will retire end September. I know I was lucky but in the end it has worked out for everybody.

Take care and hope things work out.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Purpledot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Iceskatemum

My contract doesn't mention anything about sickness or anything, and there is no HR department.........just a couple of part-timers and my 2 full-time Managers (plus caretaker and cleaners etc).

Think I'm on a loser before I start! My Manager phoned me today to see if I'd been able to find anything out! I said no, so he reluctantly said he will start me on SSP (they have been paying me the equivalent of SSP but putting it through as wages up until now). I feel so guilty, but so many people have told me not to hand my notice in.

What a mess!

PS: Plumbchick....hope your meeting went ok today.
Purpledot
UKFM Member

Postby plumbchick » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Guys

Meeting didn't go as well as I had hoped. Basically the doctor provided a Fit for Work Note that has workplace adaptations recommended on it, a chair at an appropriate height and no lifting. My manager and HR lady said that a workplace adaptation would only be for a four week period maximum and its not fair that other people would have to do more because I can't lift things.....not fit for job role and the company is not a place where a customer comes in expecting to see someone sat on a chair.

I feel sooo mad because they have messed up my SSP as well as making me feel so bad about not being able to be a 'normal person' My manager just wants rid of me, we have never got on from the beginning and she sees me as a dead weight.

Next step they want to take is looking into my medical records (which I am not too happy about) and another visit to Occupational Health......running out of patience and feel like giving in :(

Hope your ok Purpledot.......Thanks Guys for your replies Xxx
plumbchick
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 am

Ok Plumbchick from my side of the fence it seems you are being railroaded out of the job . Reasonable adjustment are there in law to let you do the job and if they work for 4 weeks they can work indefinatly!
Please make careful notes of everything that has been said , ask for the minutes of the meetings and try and seek some help with a local disabilities association who will hopefully be better placed to give you advice . Even contact the local job centre as they should have someone who can help you and who is knowledgable about disability employment practices.

From my understanding the only person who can look at your medical records is another doctor with your permission, so I would with hold from that until you know who exactly is going to see them. (What use would they be to a non medic anyway, if non medic they are hardly placed to interpret them correctly)

Given what you say I would stick it out to the bitter end (what ever that is ) otherwise yourisk not being eligible for benefits etc.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits