Could I qualify ?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Could I qualify ?

Postby E-Bunny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Guys,

I was recently dx with fibro and have had Epilepsy since last year, also suffer severe depression which I have had for app 11 years.

I still work full time, but have a lot of time off sick due to my illnesses. because of this i am no longer in our company sick pay scheme so losing a lot of my wages :( . This is making it very hard to keep up with bills etc and causing me a lot of stress which only makes my health problems worse, meaning more time off sick ( it seems a vicious circle ).

Have any of you been in this position ? Would I be able to claim any benefits to help me ?

I can't cope with the stress any more :(

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Re: Could I qualify ?

Postby SaraFibro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:54 am

You can apply for DLA Disability Living allowance ....I think things have recently changed but look it up on the internet and maybe go to citezens advice. DLA is a long process (I am currently going through it) and possibly will be refused first time round but you must appeal the decision and don't give up. It doesn't matter if you work as it is not affected by income. You should also call the jobcentre and ask to speak to the Disability Employment Advisor if you are worried about work. They can help you with keeping your job and ways to better cope at work...they will also help your employer to understand your illness. Hope that helps ...good luck!
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease - Thomas A. Edison
SaraFibro
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Well there's an old saying that if you don't ask you don't get.

The best you can give yourself of not being refused at the front end is to assume that DWP know zero about you, and then assemble as clear a picture as you possibly can about your ilnesses, copy diagnosis reports, copies of any applicable appointments, and crucially a detailed account of how your illnesses affect your daily life.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 pm

You can claim DLA if you need mobility and care needs not for being off sick nor help for paying bills because of that.

You can look into working tax credits? if you go on the DWP website there should be a calculator to work out if you qualify.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby E-Bunny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

I am already claiming tax credits, but since i renewed and told them I was classed as disabled they seem to have reduced the payments to nearly nothing compared to last year o.O

Not sure if it has anything to do with the disabled bit, but my wages did not change that much, so unsure why they have reduced it by so much :-?

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm

As Lisa has said, DLA (or PIP if you're in one of the areas trialling the new benefit) is paid to help with mobility and care needs. It is paid at different levels, depending on how much help is needed with each aspect. It is paid regardless of you being employed or not. ESA can also be paid to those who are working as well.

The best thing to do is see a Benefits Adviser as they will be able to go thru things with you and give you some advice specific to you and your current situation, as well as possibly helping with any that you decided to try and claim.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm

If you are behind with essential bills, such as gas, electric, water, etc then you may qualify for a one off payment from the British Gas trust fund. They don't advertise it but they did pay off my £345 gas arrears, it was all i needed.

The problem with DLA and working is proving that you have a sufficient disability that you need help with personal care including cooking for yourself and/or the inability to walk unaided or each of the above as changed drastically within the last year.

As someone already said it's a long process, it took me a year and i went from working as a staff nurse to being barely unable to get out of bed and stay out of bed all day, all within 6 months.

If you are working try and keep at it or if you take regular exercise keep at it, even if it's just walking the dog as once you give up, you may find it difficult to start again.

Good luck whatever you decide to do
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits