ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA

Postby denise48 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 pm

After a trip to the job centre, my daughter and myself are a little confused. We asked to speak to a disability advisor and was told that there wasnt anyone who did that job . The woman who we spoke to then went on to give us leaflets on ESA and JSA.

My daughter wants to work but knows that her fm/cfs will not allow her body to do this full time. Some days she cannot get out of bed for hours due to pain and fatigue and other days she feels a bit better but needs to pace herself in order not to boom and bust but still wants to give work a go.Personally if she was able to do just a few hours a week I feel it would boost her self esteem and she is desperate to be a relatively 'normal' 19 year old. We are at the moment waiting for DLA appeal too. My questions are 1. How long after sending in claim form for ESA would we know if she will get any financial help? and 2, is it better to apply for jsa but tell them her limitations?

Any advise or thoughts would be gratefully recieved .
Thanks
Denise x
denise48
UKFM Member

Re: ESA

Postby kazza65 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:08 pm

There is a Disabilty advisior at the job centres i know there is because my brother in law see's one.

I'd go back and see somebody else because there is one

:goodluck2: :goodluck2:
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 pm

From what i can gather if she claims JSA she will be seen to have capabilities to work and not get support but if she claims ESA she will get the help as she is seen to be having limitations and will be supported :crazy:

A claim for ESA if i can remember can takes 14 weeks. This being the assesment period and needing a medical by ATOS they will decide if she goes into ESA and what group.

I would enquire again as said above all job centres should have a disability advisor.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby purrrcatty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 am

Hi, I also have fibro and would love to try and work again so i applied for ESA as u can get better help and support i have been for my assessment and have been waiting now just over 4 weeks for a decision to see if i pass or not. Ive had more stress worrying about it i wish they would hurry up and tell me :(
purrrcatty
UKFM Newbie

Postby denise48 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you for your replies. It does seem that she would be better to go for ESA. So if the process takes 14 weeks does that mean she wont get any money for that time or do they make a decision within that time and pay basic rate and then after 14 weeks put you in a group? I find all this quite confusing.
I too was suprised about the disability advisor - as the website for jobcentre states that every jobcentre plus has one.
she did mention that you could ask for a personal advisor to help you get the right job etc but there wasnt anyone who would tell you what you should claim for . There are 3 job centres in a 5 mile radius of where we live as we basically are on the edge of two bordering counties so might try a different one but meanwhile will phone gov.uk to ask for a claim pack. Good luck Purrcatty. I would be interested to know your outcome and any advise you may have.

Thanks for your help
x
denise48
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am

denise48 wrote:Thank you for your replies. It does seem that she would be better to go for ESA. So if the process takes 14 weeks does that mean she wont get any money for that time or do they make a decision within that time and pay basic rate and then after 14 weeks put you in a group? I find all this quite confusing.

During the assessment phase, she should be paid the assessment rate for ESA which I believe is the at the same sort of rate as JSA. Once she has had her assessment and DWP have advised her of her fate, if she qualifies for ESA, then she will be paid the appropriate rate, depending on the group she is placed in.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denise48 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you Fluffypuppy that makes sense to me now.
Have now phoned for claim form should arrive mid next week :-D
denise48
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits