ESA and dentist question!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA and dentist question!

Postby Flaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi guys,

I really need to go to the dentist as I have an ulcer that is making me look like a hamster.
I'm currently signed off work and claiming income based ESA but I am yet to go to my medical. Does this mean I can't claim for NHS dentist care until I have had my medical and then possibly put in a group? When I went to the opticians the other day I asked about it but she said I need proof- but I don't have any really. No official letter.

I have about £7 in my bank so no way I can afford dental care otherwise.

Thanks!
Flaw
UKFM Member

Re: ESA and dentist question!

Postby shortnsweet54 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Flaw,
I'm on ESA and have never paid for the dentist.

you should have a letter from Jobcentre plus to say what income you are getting, if not phone them and ask them to send one urgently.
Odd that they never sent you a lettter telling you the amount you were getting each week and when from ...mind their incompetence knows no bounds.
you could always make a dental appt then when you get there tell them you're waiting for JCP to send a letter to confirm this

hope this helps
Jan x
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby Flaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Okay thank you,

Was just confused as the optician made it sound as if I couldn't claim till I had been assessed!

Will book an appointment then, mouth hurts!
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby Moobaloo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Flaw,

Do you mean that you've applied for DLA & haven't been for a Work Capability Assessment yet, meaning you're still in the assessment phase & getting £71 a week?
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby Flaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:13 pm

That might be what I mean; I'm in utter confusion with all the benefits!

Dr signed me off a a few months ago, assessing each month so I'm claiming ESA at the moment. I have filled in that huge questionnaire with the point system and sent it off but it takes 13 weeks to hear back doesn't it? I am currently receiving £71 a week ESA.
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby Janet Poole » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi. . You can always go to your local NHS walk in centre they do dentistry for emergencies out of hours they'll see you with or without benefits xx
Janet Poole
UKFM Member

Postby cherryscone » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:26 am

Hi, this is how it works, if you are in receipt of income based ESA your prescriptions, opticians and dentist are free, if you are awarded contribution based ESA you will have to pay.

For anyone out there you can claim income based at the same time as contribution based therefore it is advisable to do so, just phone and explain you want claim income based and they will send you a form, its really quite short, prescriptions. Other than that you can apply for a HC2 certificate from the NHS on grounds of low income.

Hope that helps.
cherryscone
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Flaw, whether I'm looking in the wrongs places or using the wrong words, I can't find anything that explains about exemptions to medical costs being applicable or not during the assessment stage of the ESA claim process. All I can suggest is contacting the office dealing with your claim (their details should be on letters they have sent you) to clarify the situation.

I was also going to suggest your local NHS walk/drop in centre as well. Hope you get some treatment soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Flaw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks guys!

I called the job centre and as I'm on income based ESA I can claim whether still being assessed or not it seems.
Got my new glasses ordered and dentist booked, can finally get the work done I need since I've not worked for years but never claimed before. Dental treatment is so disgustingly expensive!
Flaw
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Glad you've got some answers and treatment arranged Flaw :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Dental treatment is horrendously expensive, esp when you have no option but to go to a private dentist :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I'm thankful and relieved that I've only needed check~ups and an occasional scale and polish over the years, unlike my OH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits