ESA and Housing Benefit

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA and Housing Benefit

Postby PhoebeCat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 am

I have an appeal for ESA coming up sometime in the not too distant future, I hope but something has been concerning me for a while, so thought that there might be others who have been in the same situation.

I live on my own and rent my home and because I am not working, I claim housing benefit. IF and I know its a big IF, I should win my appeal for ESA, my benefit will increase but then will that mean that my Housing Benefit will be reduced and I'll have to pay more myself from my ESA? If this is the case, I am wondering why I am bothering to put myself through all of this as I will be no better off and will have to struggle financially as much as I am now. I wouldnt be gaining anything other than not having to go to the job centre every other week, looking for jobs that I know I am unable to do because of my health. If the confirmation letter says that the increase will be back dated then I would have to pay back most of the money to the Housing Benefit because they will say that they over paid me! I cant see that I am going to be any better off at all :(
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Re: ESA and Housing Benefit

Postby animeemo3 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am

hi,
if you are with council, it might go up (a little) but if you private rent like me it wont. my housing hasn't changed and i've gone through assessment phase, support group phase, wrag phase and appeal phase with no change

x
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits