Question re - renewing DLA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Question re - renewing DLA

Postby Graciebaby » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Hope someone can advise me.

My DLA is due to end mid January 2014 and today I received the forms to complete if I wish to claim again. I really didn't expect to hear from the DWP about this for a month or so yet!

Can anyone tell me please how long I officially have to complete these forms? Is it normally 4 weeks?

All the information says is to return the completed form as soon as possible and then further on it states that if I don't make my claim straight away and I delay, they may not have time to deal with my claim before my award ends.

It takes me weeks to complete the forms and I also have a Rheumy appointment mid September which should provide me with further supporting evidence by way of a report. Obviously I would like to enclose this report with my claim forms.

Is there a fixed period of time in which to return my forms because I feel really pressured to rush to get them done. Are they allowed to do this or are they obliged by law to give me a set amount of time?

Can't believe I'm having to do all this again, it only feels like yesterday that I put my last claim in!

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Re: Question re - renewing DLA

Postby djclall » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi Graciebaby,

Firstly, you have me sympathy. These forms are horrendous and tedious to say the least.

I received me renewal form back in May of this year. My DLA comes to end around 5/6 September 2013. I opened the letter and that was all i done until July. Then when the kids broke up foe summer holidays that is when i started to fill it in. I finally finished it early August and sent it off round about 5th August. A week and a bit later i received 2 brown envelopes. 1st one saying that they had received my claim and the 2nd telling me off their decision. Awarded HRM and MRC.

I have never heard of a deadline before regarding renewal claims. I suppose its because they have an awful lot of claimants to go through a majority of the time!. Also regarding your rheumy appt and hopefully a report to support your DLA application,you could always write on the extra information page that once you get your report you will send it in plus any other reports that yoy may get after sending in your form.

But for peace of mind and clarity why don't you give the helpline a call. I am sure they will be able to answer any questions you have.

Good luck. xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:45 pm

sorry G, no idea, never claimed DLA before
have you got copies of your last claim?
where you could add what changed since then?

I have to renew ESA and it said in the letter by when I have to return it
you could call the DLA office on Monday and ask them?

maybe you could go through the form and complete it as much as you can and add the rheumy as the last piece?

is there an online form available?

hope someone else has more and better and hands on advise for you
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby deanna dimech » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:56 pm

I have had my forms about 3 weeks, They are almost filled now but have been to unwell to do them, My DLA run's out at the end of November and they say it can take up to 12 weeks to work out if or what you will get, so I must get on with mine tomorrow , and good luck with your claim. Deanna
deanna dimech
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:59 am

:goodluck2: with the forms and I'm with djclall, ring the helpline they should be able to straighten things out for you :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sootybean56 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:10 am

hi graciebaby

my dla was due to finish in october 2013
i received renewal form in july and had 4 weeks
to send it back

i filled it in and sent copies of drs letters appointments , medications
that im on with form

3 weeks after id posted it i got a letter saying i had been awarded hmr, lcr
again

so good luck and send copies of everything you have with it x
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:04 am

Hi graciebaby,

My DLA was to run out sept 8 this yr, I got my renewal form at the end of April, and I was extremely poorly at the time.

It took me over 8 weeks to fill out my renewal, but my husband did give them a call and told them I was ill and that we were working on the form, and could they tell us the date it needed to be returned by.

They were fine about it, gave us a date to complete it by, and I managed to get it sent off in plenty of time.

I got an award reply within 2 wks, but I included everything, all reports, letters, appointments.
HRC- HRM until 2015 when ev1 needs to be on PIP by.

Just give them a call and I'm sure they will tell you when it needs to be returned by.
It's usually 8 weeks before your present award ends to give them time to make checks if necessary.

All the best,

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,
Thank you for your replies.

I did make copies of everything I sent last time I claimed and I'm so glad I did. I can refer back to my old claim form, remind myself of what I wrote and add any new health issues since then, such as the bursitis in my hips and the pain in my hands. I will also include copies of my old reports and all the new ones I have obtained since my last claim.

At the moment I am receiving HRM and MRC and I'm so afraid that this may be reduced when I'm re assessed.
Stupid really . . . .I'm worse than I was last time! But I guess there's been so much publicity about cuts being made to benefits, that you assume it's going to happen to you.

I'm going to try very hard to get the completed forms off in a fortnight because the longer I have them around, the more stressed I get about it. If I can't manage that, I shall do what some of you have advised and phone up to check how long I actually have to get them in.

Please excuse me for only just replying to your messages. We went to a family "do" today and when we got back, I completely flaked out on the sofa. I still feel utterly wiped out and I'm paying for it now. ..........so much pain!!

Thank you once again and do let me know if you think of anything in the way of tips about the info I have to complete.

Can I ask, did anyone get the call up for another Atos assessment when you sent off your renewal claim for DLA ?
I know.....I know, I'm fretting, but the thought of repeating that little fiasco just chills my blood!
Please let me know if it's a possibility.

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Iv not come accross anyone being asked to attend a medical for a renewal. Mainly appeals this happens but under the PIP they intend everyone gets the delights of a ATOS assessment!

There no time limit on a renewal as long as you send it back in time for them to look into it. If you do send i back late then you may miss a few weeks payements until all is decided. I personaly wouldnt leave it later then 2 months before your other one runs out.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Graciebaby » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks Lisa,
I will certainly be getting my renewal forms in with plenty of time to spare before my old award runs out and two months before hand does sound a pretty realistic amount of time to allow for re assessment doesn't it.

Do many people have their rates of award changed, particularly if their condition is pretty much the same as their last claim ?

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Graciebaby,

For my first claim for DLA i was awarded HRM AND HRC. The second time i was awarded HRM and MRC as i said in a previous post. So i decided to appeal their decision as my care needs increased. I have to have someone stay a few nights a week particularly when i am having a major flare up. Which seems to be more frequent. To the point of i have forgotten what it feels like to have a good day!!. And the amount of times i have fallen out of bed or stumbled getting to the commode (i now have a bed in my front room as well as the commode). And that was the reason that i appealed. They wrote to me after 2 weeks and decided to stay with their original decision. This time they awarded me the same rates HRM and MRC. I have posted a question on here, in the benefits section i believe, asking advice on whether or not i should appeal this decision. After reading other peoples advice, i decided to smile and say thankyou.

So if you get a different rate of DLA to your last one. think very carefully on your options. People on here are so helpful and it does make a huge difference to hear others advice. Good luck and i hope you get the award you need.xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Djclall,

I'm sorry to hear that you care rate was reduced, particularly if your needs have increased since your last claim.......it just doesn't make sense does it!?
I guess it's down to how different decision makers interpret your claim forms, or perhaps it just depends on what mood they got up with on that particular day!
I hope you are able to manage wIth MRC, it makes me angry when I read posts such as yours :(

Take good care,

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby Michelleg123 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:21 pm

I was awarded MRC in September 2012 - I appealed against getting no mobility and I had to have a medical. The doctor came, didn't ask me anything about my Fibro symptoms and how they affect me, he basically wrote I'm overweight and if I lose weight I will be fine - they took my MRC off me and I have had nothing since July. I went to the tribunal and they said I should seek advice from someone else before the next face to face hearing when they will have made their decision - Still waiting for my 3rd appeal date but I have had advice from CAB who wrote them a detailed letter with my symptoms - living on £21 a week at the moment and I'm basically a recluse... I'm so depressed it's untrue :( I feel that because I don't go to the doctor with every ache and pain I am being penalised but when I do go to the doctor all I get told is it's the FM and there's nothing we can do, it's all down to pain management !!! Hence I stay at home and try to 'manage the pain' rather than see my GP - I feel like I'm in a no win situation !!
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits