What are ESA work related activities

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What are ESA work related activities

Postby linedancer99 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi all

I have been on incapacity for a long time and was transferred over to ESA, after filling in the ESA50, but put in the work related group. I appealed to be put into the support group in January. I received a letter this week saying I had been refused, surprise surprise, I also had a copy of why the decision was made. They admit I have limited capability to work but that I can do work related activity. I rang the benefits office to find out what work related activity is and was told it was job interviews!!! :crazy: as they thought I would be able to work in the future.
I assume they know of some miracle cure coming soon.

On my medical report it says- Advice: I advise that this person meets the criteria for limited capability for work

Prognosis: I advise that work is unlikely within 2 years

Confused.com now
Last edited by linedancer99 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linedancer99
UKFM Member

Re: What is ESA work related

Postby fibro-lu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 pm

all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Re: What are ESA work related activities

Postby ecologisttobe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 pm

I know when I was on Job Seekers they consider you able to work even if you can work only a few hours. It doesn't matter if you can't work full time as long as you can work a few hours. Plus there are so many adaptations available these days it is hard to prove their is absolutely no type of work you can't do.

I failed ESA due to DWP/ATOS not asking for medical evidence so I ended up with just a disability advisor and support into work.

In my case they were right...I handled 3 hours a week at the library pretty well considering the pain and exhaustion. lol
ecologisttobe
UKFM Member

Postby pepperflo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:52 pm

I too was transferred onto ESA had to go to regular interviews,at my local job centre, I kept saying each day was different, one day I could get up and slowly potter about, other days I stayed in bed, trouble is ESA is only paid for 12 months then your money stops, I applied to go.in the support group but they said no so wrote to them and still came back with same decision. It makes me wonder just where the line is,where they decide between each group.
pepperflo
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 pm

From what i can gather it means you will not be reviewed for another 2 years and so you will stay in this WRAG group until then unless you put in a change of circumstances.

People have different experiences with the job centre. They try to advise you to look for p/time work or enroll in a college course and take up voluntery work.

They can also be very pushy into these back to work programmes also which we always say DO NOT SIGN ANYTHNG! you do not have to take part! but they speak to you as if you have to. Seek advice before you decide sign for anything!

For alot of people like myself they talk to you about your health and realise that your just far to ill for them to be able to help and so i will be just getting a phone call every other month to see if im any better :roll: and if i would like any help to seek employements etc and if i say no then they will call back again (round and round u go)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby linedancer99 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 pm

thanks everyone for your replies.

As I understand it you only get contributions based ESA for 1 year, I have told mine will end on the 6th December.

You can then apply for income related ESA, I can't do that as I have a hubby who works full time.

When I went for my 1st interview at the job centre, way back in January, he was the one who told me I should appeal. lol

So if my benefit runs out after 1 year but they are saying I can't work for 2 what happens then? :crazy:

A letter from the tribunal people states that it could be 14-18 weeks before I hear any more.

Ho Hum.
linedancer99
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 am

The Support Group isn't based on your capacity to work , as some people in the Support Group can and do work permitted hours. Albeit would think the majority can't manage this. Getting into the support group depends on you meeting the Support Group criteria. Nothing more, and nothing less.

If you don't meet them and appeal but don't achieve overturning the decison at a Tribunal you get shoved in the WRAG group.And could stay there for years, if you gain 15 points each time you're re-assessed but don't meet the SG criteria. Seems a crazy system to me and no doubt everyone else but for the minute that's what it currently is.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits